University is such a big investment, so it’s natural to want assurance that your chosen institution will help prepare you for your future.
From your first day with us, we encourage you to consider your career development as an additional module and make the most of the tools, resources and information you have access to. From our end, the University and Careers Team provides guidance, help in developing the real-world skills you need, training, events – and even business development and funding opportunities.
Because each student is different, you can tailor our professional development to your needs and aspirations. To give you a more specific taste of what we offer, here are some examples of the resources available to you.
- One-to-one appointments to go over your CV
- Mock interview run-throughs
- Tailored career workshops and employer-led events
- Support in finding experience-boosting internships, part-time jobs and work placements
- Panel discussions where students are encouraged to participate
- Skills-based workshops and fairs where students can present, including an annual Science and Technology Careers Fair exhibiting internships, graduate schemes and live vacancies from over 20 employers in Science and Technology
- Support and funding in business development so you can test out your ideas.
All of the above are designed to help you gain confidence and develop the skills which a professional working environment demand. In particular, our careers events are a great chance to network and meet a range of prospective employers. School of Mathematical students can also get subject-level advice and guidance with our bespoke careers booklet.