Lecturer in Accounting
- Lecturer in Accounting
- Member of the Department of Accounting and Financial Management
- Co-leader of the AARG research group
Claudine Grisard is Lecturer in Accounting at Queen Mary University of London, School of Business and Management. Before joining Queen Mary, she worked in the same position at Strathclyde Business School in Glasgow (Scotland) and as a Post-doctoral Fellow at Schulich School of business in Toronto (Canada). She hold a Ph.D in accounting and a Master degree in sustainable development from Paris-Dauphine (France) and was initially trained in Political sciences.
Her research broadly considers the links between accounting and politics. She view accounting tools as instruments of power. Her work seeks to understand how actors discipline themselves through dominant (and financial) discourses, as well as act as political subjects. She is particularly interested in the way they mobilize accounting in their attempts.
She studies the interactions between politics and accounting, using two different understandings of politics. She considers the way actors manoeuvre to push their agendas, as well as the conduct of public affairs. She therefore studies the ways actors develop political arguments and controversies, through the mobilisation of accounting metrics to influence decisions. She also examines conflicts between various political ideologies and how accounting enable to enact these different political visions. Empirically speaking, her work covers a variety of contexts, and objects. Thus, She has studied so far the links between politics and accounting in relation to CSR, to poverty, to states programmes, etc. Her methodology is of qualitative nature, inspired by sociological, anthropological, and historical approaches.
- BUS363: Social and Environmental Accounting
- BUS365: Contemporary issues in Accounting and Ethics
Claudine Grisard is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Critical and interdisciplinary perspectives on accounting
- Accounting and the politics
- Accounting and public affairs
Centre and Group Membership:
- Member of the Centre on Labour and Global Production (CLGP)
- Member of the Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity (CRED)
- Member of the Accounting & Accountability Research Group (AARG)
- Grisard, C., Annisette, M. & Graham, C. (2020). Performative Agency and incremental change in CSR contexts, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 82. (International collaboration)
- Graham, C. & Grisard, C. (2019). Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief: Accounting and the stigma of poverty, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 59:32-51. (International collaboration)