3 main libraries (with 315,000 books, 14,400 journals, 7,100 e-books, 2,200 DVDs, 1,700 study places with wireless access, 400 PCs and 320 databases)
£300m annual income
£142m spent on new facilities and resources over the past five years
2,000-bed student village on campus
Did you know?
We have the second oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in England, a Spanish Portuguese Jewish cemetery dating from 1726, in the centre of our campus.
The skeleton of Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, is housed in the School of Medicine and Dentistry's Pathology Museum.
The Medical College of the Royal London Hospital (now part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry) was England’s first medical school when it opened in 1785.
From 1964 until 1982 Queen Mary College maintained its own nuclear reactor, initially sited beneath Mile End Road.
Elizabeth Blackwell, the first fully qualified female doctor in the UK, trained at Barts Hospital Medical College in 1850.
Sir John Vane, who founded the William Harvey Research Institute, is credited with discovering how aspirin and similar drugs produced their effects.
Sir Walter Besant's 1882 novel All Sorts and Condition of Men – An Impossible Story, imagined a 'Palace of Delights' in east London with concert halls, reading rooms, picture galleries, art school and education for local people – this was the inspiration for The People's Palace and the start of Queen Mary today.