Welcome to the UK Branch of the International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy (IVR). The IVR was founded in Berlin on 1 October 1909 and has since then blossomed into a genuinely global association, with many active national sections. The purpose of the Association is the cultivation and promotion of legal and social philosophy. The Association is open to all relevant scholarly disciplines. Read more about the International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy.
The executive of the UK Branch is as follows
- President – Dr Antony Hatzistavrou, University of Hull
- Secretary – Professor Veronica Rodriguez-Blanco, University of Surrey
- Treasurer – Dr Noam Gur, Queen Mary University of London
The UK IVR Neil MacCormick Memorial Lecture, 2022
Title: Reading Neil MacCormick
Date: Monday 16 May 2022
Time: 5:00 - 7:00 pm
To be delivered by Maks Del Mar, Professor of Legal Theory and Legal Humanities at Queen Mary University of London.
This will be an online event. Register via Eventbrite.
The UK IVR 2022 Conference: ‘Law, Rationality and Practical Reason — Ancient and Contemporary Perspectives’
Date: 10-11 June 2022
Place: University of Surrey (to be held online)
Register via for the UK IVR 2022 Conference on Eventbrite.
- The 2017 conference 'Law, Rationality and the Market' was held at the School of Law, University of Sheffield.
- The 2016 conference 'Law and Social Sustainability' was held at the School of Law, University of Leeds.
- The 2015 conference 'Public/Private: Unlocking the Boundaries of Legal Thought' was held at Queen's University Belfast.
- The 2014 conference 'De-juridification: Appearance and disappearance of law at a time of crisis' was held at the London School of Economics.
- Listen to podcasts from the 2013 UK IVR Annual Conference, Legal Theory and Legal History: A Neglected Dialogue, held at Queen Mary University of London.
- The 2012 conference ‘Rights, Morality and the Law’ was held at the University of Birmingham.
The UK IVR mailing list informs members of upcoming events in legal and social philosophy. To join, please email Dr Gur: firstname.lastname@example.org. Organisers of events are encouraged to email news of relevant upcoming events of potential interest to legal and social philosophers.
Each branch of the IVR pays membership fees to the general IVR. To help cover these fees, membership to the UK Branch is set at £15 for students, £25 for early career academics (within 5 years of the award of their doctorate) and £35 for academics and professionals. To become a member, please email Dr Gur: email@example.com.