Zero Tolerance

Reporting a hate crime

Hate crime could include an act of violence or hostility because of who you are or someone thinks you are. This can occur due to prejudice or hostility based upon your race or ethnicity, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other characteristics. The law takes hate crime and hate incidents very seriously.

Hate crime can be committed against a person or property. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime. You can find more information on what is considered to be a hate crime on the Citizen’s Advice website.

The Police

You can report a hate crime directly to the police by visiting your local police station or by calling 101 or 999 if you feel you’re in immediate danger. When reporting, you should ask for the incident reference number, and this will help you in any further dealings with the police. If you don’t wish to report the incident, you can ask someone else (eg a friend or relative) to report on your behalf, or your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Stop Hate

Queen Mary now has a dedicated 24 hour helpline that provides independent and confidential reporting and support for anyone affected by hate incidents or hate crime who works or studies at the University. This includes victims of hate crime, witnesses to incidents that could be hate crimes or anyone who is a third party to an incident that could be a hate crime. The service is available to you wherever you are, whether on campus, at home, out shopping or on holiday. Wherever the incident has occurred, Stop Hate are there to offer help 24 hours a day.

Stop Hate Queen Mary reporting page

Report to Queen Mary


You can report allegations of harassment, bullying, sexual violence, sexual harassment, hate crime and discrimination to the Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office under the Code of Student Discipline. A Casework Officer from the Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office will meet with you privately to discuss the issues that you have raised and will explain to you how your case will be handled, how to make your report and who to address your report to.

The Student Complaints Policy makes it clear that any student who submits a complaint in good faith will not suffer any detriment as a result of any action taken under the Student Complaints Policy.


In the first instance, you should contact your Line Manager to report any allegation of harassment, assault, hate crime, bullying and discrimination. Where the Line Manager is the alleged perpetrator, staff should contact the designated HR person for their directorate/school/department.

Further information is available on the Dignity at Work and Study Procedure and on the Dignity at Work webpage. Information on how to raise concerns is available in the Dignity at Work and Study General Guidance.