Residential Services and Support

Useful links

Advice and Counselling Service

If you would like confidential professional support with emotional, financial, practical or legal matters you can contact the Advice and Counselling Service. Emotional difficulties might include homesickness, flatmate issues, stress, eating disorders, relationship problems, academic anxiety or depression.

Specialist advice about your rights and entitlements is also available on financial issues, funding problems, dealing with debt, planning a budget, emergency and hardship funding, immigration law and international student issues visit the Advice and Counselling Service website or call +44 (0)20 7882 8717 during office hours to arrange an appointment.


Managing on a budget is as much about knowing what money you are entitled to claim as it is about managing your spending. For information on the different sources of income students are entitled to, plus information on ways of cutting costs and planning a personalised budget, the Money section.

For one to one, confidential advice about financial issues including: student financial support, hardship funds, fee payment problems etc, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service.


If you need a part-time job, Queen Mary Careers can help in several ways. The Careers Team manages a vacancy site called Queen Mary Jobs Online which lists vacancies for students in London (search for 'part-time work').

You may visit the Careers Office (WG3, Queens' Building) to pick up a list of other part-time job websites and book an appointment for a CV Clinic to help you maximize the impact of your CV.

The Careers Team runs over 100 careers events on campus every year and can help you prepare for interviews, find internships, and guide you through your options on graduation.


Living in the communal setting of the residence can be both one of the most rewarding and challenging aspects of your time at College. To make the most of this opportunity, residents need to value and be aware of the issues that can arise through communal living. There are often differences in upbringing, lifestyles and tolerance levels, most of these can normally be resolved by talking issues through and learning to compromise.

We accept that sometimes flatmates will not be able to resolve issues themselves; if you find yourself in this situation it may help you to talk to a member of the Residential Support team.

Health and medical arrangements

All residents living in Queen Mary accommodation must register with a local National Health Service (NHS) General Practitioner (doctor) near to their College term time address, so that a doctor may be called in case of an emergency illness. International students are eligible for full, free NHS treatment if they are on a course in the UK that lasts for six months or more. Those who are resident in College for less than six months may still be eligible for some NHS services and full details are available in the Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students or from the GP surgery staff at the Student Health Centre. It is essential that all students register as soon as practicable after their arrival. Even if you are fit and healthy, you may have problems with your treatment in an emergency if you are not registered.

To register with a doctor you will require your NHS card, or the name of your present doctor and your NHS number. Overseas residents who are visiting this country for the first time will not have this, so to register with an NHS doctor, you will have to contact the Student Health Centre for the appropriate form on your arrival.

The Student Health Centre (Ground Floor, Geography Building) is open Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm, where advice and information can be obtained concerning registration with a local NHS doctor, and all aspects of healthcare (tel: 020 7882 8710).

The NHS operates a number of 'no appointment needed' walk-in centres throughout London, the nearest Centres covering all three Queen Mary campuses are: Whitechapel NHS Walk-In Centre, 174 Mile End Road, London E1 1BZ covering residences at Mile End and Floyer House. Liverpool Street NHS Walk-In Centre, Exchange Arcade, Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3WA covering Dawson Hall.


There are launderette facilities at each site. The machines are operated by cards that can be purchased from card dispensing machines which are located in the France House, Dawson Hall and Floyer House laundrettes. Once purchased, the cards can be topped up on-line at and activated in top up machined which are in each launderette using a code emailed from Circuit Laundry.

Any faults should be reported direct to Circuit Managed Laundry Systems on freephone 0800 092 4068

Launderette locations:

  • Mile End Campus – Ground floor of France House (open to all Mile End residents) Stocks Court, Ifor Evans Place and Lindop House (open to specific residents only)
  • Charterhouse Campus – Basement of Dawson Hall
  • Whitechapel Campus – Basement of Floyer House


You can find information on leisure activities from the Queen Mary Students’ Union.

Personal safety

London is an exciting and dynamic place to live and study, but like any city in the world you need to be sensible and it's important that you look after yourself and your belongings. Queen Mary's Security Service website and the invaluable Personal Safety Guide booklet offer essential information on how to stay safe.

Settling into University Life

Are you shy or worried about making friends and settling in to university? Leaving home, going to a new city, or even country, and starting at university involve huge change bringing excitement, opportunity and also hazard. For advice and support please visit our Transition to University page on the Advice and Counselling website.


The Queen Mary Mental Health team can provide support if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed by university life.

Other useful links:

Study support

If you are struggling with your studies, you may book a visit with a counsellor by contacting the Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service.

You may also wish to visit to visit the following:

Student Union

Queen Mary Students' Union's (QMSU) primary purpose is to ensure that you get the most out of your time at QMUL. We’re responsible for campaigning and lobbying the University to provide you with a great student experience. QMSU is run by elected students, voted for each year by you.

These people work tirelessly on your behalf to make a difference to your life while studying at the University. While we hope your time here is always a happy one, for those occasions where things might not go to plan we have an academic advice service to provide the best possible support.


Information on all forms of public transport in London (including route maps, journey planner and online ticket sales) can be viewed on the Transport for London website.