Centre for Environmental and Preventive Medicine
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: Tel: +44 (0) 20 7882 6298
An Interventional Cardiologist undertaking research into the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Clinical - academic aims are to bridge the interventional and preventive approaches to cardiovascular disease which are often viewed as distinct.
Trained in Medicine at Oxford University and then Imperial College (St Mary's Hospital) London, graduating in 1993 with a BA and MBBS and later MRCP in 1996, following junior medical posts in London and Oxford. After embarking on a Residency in radiology at New York University, USA, switched discipline to cardiology, training as a specialist registrar in cardiology and general medicine in the Wessex region (1999-2005) and completing an MD degree (London, 2004) in parallel with clinical training.
Following a year as a Fellow in Interventional Cardiology at Southampton University Hospital, appointed Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry in 2006, became Reader in 2010, and Professor of Cardiology in 2014.
Chief Investigator for several randomized clinical trials, including:
- Preventive Angioplasty in Myocardial Infarction (PRAMI) Trial: a multicentre single blind randomised trial assessing the value of coronary angioplasty in preventing future coronary heart disease events among patients receiving angioplasty to treat an acute myocardial infarction. The two-year results indicate a 2/3rds reduction in cardiac death, non-fatal myocardial infarction and refractory angina in patients receiving preventive angioplasty.
- Child Parent Screening Study: a 10,000 person MRC-funded national study to test the accuracy of a novel child-parent population screening strategy that screens children and their parents within the same programme, by combining cholesterol measurement with routine childhood immunization.
- Polypill Prevention Trial: together with colleagues developed a polypill for the prevention of ischaemic heart disease and stroke, and now leading a UK trial testing this in people over the age of 50.
- INTERACT Trial: a randomized trial assessing the value of automated text messaging on adherence to blood pressure and cholesterol lowering medications in primary care.
- Prevention of Aortic Stenosis Pilot Trial: MRC-funded randomised cross-over trial of serum phosphate reduction using phosphate binding medication as a potential means of preventing the progression of aortic stenosis.
Principal source of Funding: Medical Research Council
- Child-parent screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia
- Preventive Angioplasty in myocardial infarction
- Polypill for the prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Medication Adherence strategies
- Prevention of Aortic stenosis
- Animation supported consent
Wald DS, Wald, B, Radford, A, and Shipolini, A. (2018) The sternal wire code; solving the problem of missing coronary artery bypass graft records during cardiac catheterization. IJC Heart and Vasculature, 19, 37-4
Wald DS, Bestwick JP. Association between serum calcium, serum phosphate and aortic stenosis with implications for prevention. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2018;0(00):1-6
Wald DS, Bestwick JP. Preventive Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction – The Primacy of Randomised Trials. Interventional Cardiology Review 2015;10(1):32-34
Wald DS, Bangash FA, Bestwick JP. Prevalence of DNA-confirmed Familial Hypercholesterolaemia in young patients with myocardial infarction. Eur J InternMed 2015;26(2):127-130
Wald DS, Bestwick JP, Raiman L, Brendell R, Wald NJ. Randomised Trial of TextMessaging on Adherence to Cardiovascular Preventive Treatment (INTERACT Trial). PloSOne 2014;9(12):e114268
Wald DS, Morris JK, Wald NJ et al. Randomized Trial of Preventive Angioplasty in Myocardial Infarction. N Engl J Med 2013;369:1115-1123
Wald DS, Morris JK, Wald NJ.Randomized Polypill crossover trial in people aged 50 and over. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e41297.
Wald DS, Morris JM, Wald NJ. Reconciling the evidence on Serum Homocysteine and Ischaemic Heart Disease: A Meta-Analysis. PloS One, 2011 6(2): e16473
Wald DS, Law M, Morris JK et al. Combination Therapy Versus Monotherapy in Reducing Blood Pressure: Meta-analysis on 11,000 Participants from 42 Trials. Am J Med 2009;122:290-300
Wald DS, Bestwick J, Wald NJ. Child-parent screening familial hypercholesterolaemia; a screening proposal based on a meta-analysis. BMJ 2007;335:599-603
Morris JK, Wald DS, Wald NJ. Evaluation of Cascade testing for Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2012 Jan;158A(1):78-84.
Wald DS, Kasturiratne A, Godoy A et al. Child-Parent Screening for familial Hypercholesterolaemia. Journal of Pediatrics 2011;159(5):865-7
Wald DS, Wald NJ, Morris J, Law M. Folic acid, homocysteine and cardiovascular disease; judging causality in the face if inconclusive trial evidence. 2006 BMJ 333;1114-1117
Wald DS, Kasturiratne A, Simmonds M. Folic acid, with or without other B vitamins and cognitive decline: meta-analysis of randomized Trials. Am J Med 2010; 123:522- 527
Wald DS, Law MR, Morris J. Homocysteine and Cardiovascular disease: evidence on causality from a meta-analysis. BMJ 2002;325:1202-6