Centre for Environmental and Preventive Medicine
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: Tel: +44 (0) 20 7882 6218
Having completed her nursing qualification and gaining clinical experience in renal,cardiovascular and metabolic medicine, Nirmala joined Professor MacGregor as a research assistant in the newly formed blood pressure unit at Charing Cross Hospital Medical School and then moved with the team to St George's University Of London, and to Queen Mary University of London.
She was responsible for running all the clinical trials in the blood pressure unit as well as providing a clinical service to the hospital. She was instrumental for starting one of the first nurse led clincal service for hypertension and cardiovascular disease prevention.
This not only hugely reduced the waiting list but also picked up patients who needed urgent care.
Nirmala is a trustee of the Blood Pressure UK charity and was involved in setting this up, and now takes active part in helping dealing with the phone line and email queries on blood pressure from the members of the general public.
Nirmala has for many years organised and run update meetings on hypertension and cardiovascular disease prevention and management for health professionals on a national level.
- World Action on Salt and Health (CASH)
- Modest salt reduction reduces blood pressure and urine protein excretion in black hypertensives: a randomized control trial.
- Dietary salt influences postprandial plasma sodium concentration and systolic blood pressure.
- The mercury sphygmomanometer should be abandoned before it is proscribed.
- Modest salt reduction lowers blood pressure in isolated systolic hypertension and combined hypertension.
- Importance of the renin system in determining blood pressure fall with salt restriction in black and white hypertensives.
- Sodium restriction in hypertensive patients treated with a converting enzyme inhibitor and a thiazide.
- Is "idiopathic" edema idiopathic?
- Double-blind randomised crossover trial of moderate sodium restriction in essential hypertension.
ExpertiseConducting clinical trials related to blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
Many years of Organising update meetings on Hypertension
Organising update meetings Cardiovascular disease prevention and managemntfor health professionals.
Teaching nurses and pre clinical medical students on accurate blood pressure measurement.