Professor Jeremy W Coid
Emeritus Professor Centre for Psychiatry
Professor Jeremy Coid completed medical training at Sheffield University and training in Forensic Psychiatry at the Maudsley and Broadmoor Hospitals.
He was trained in research at the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, where he completed his MD.
As Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist he established the medium secure service to East London for mentally disordered offenders.
He has extensive experience of giving evidence in court as an expert witness in cases of serious violence, sexual offending, and on childcare. He has been an advisor to the Department of Health, Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Defence on management of high risk offenders.
He was appointed Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry in 1987 and awarded a personal chair in 1995.
He is joint editor of Early prevention of Adult Antisocial Behaviour and co-author of Psychopathic and Anti-social personality disorders: Treatment and Research issues.
- Improving Risk Management in Mental Health
- Coid, J.W., Ullrich, S., and Kallis, C. (2013) Predicting future violence among individuals with psychopathy. The British Journal of Psychiatry 203, 387-388
- Coid, J.W., Ullrich, S., Keers, R., Bebbington, P., DeStavola, B.L., Kallis, C., Yang, M., Reiss, D., Jenkins, R., and Donnelly, P. (2013) Gang membership, violence, and psychiatric morbidity. American Journal of Psychiatry 170, 985-993
- Keers, R., Ullrich, S., Dr Stavola, B.L., and Coid, J.W. (2013) Association of Violence With Emergence of Persecutory Delusions in Untreated Schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry. DOI:10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13010134
- Coid JW, Ullrich S, Kallis C, Keers R, Barker D, Cowden F, Stamps R. (2013) The relationship between delusions and violence: findings from the East London First Episode Psychosis Study. JAMA Psychiatry 70:465-471
- Coid, J., and Yang, M. (2010). Violence and delayed social independence among young adult British men. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 45, 301-308
- Yang, M., Wong, S.C., and Coid, J. (2010). The efficacy of violence prediction: a meta-analytic comparison of nine risk assessment tools. Psychological Bulletin 136, 740-767
- Coid, J. (2009). Raised Incidence Rates of All Psychoses Among Migrant Groups: Findings From the East London First Episode Psychosis Study (vol 64, pg 1250, 2008). Archives of General Psychiatry 66, 161-161
- Coid, J., Yang, M., Bebbington, P., Moran, P., Brugha, T., Jenkins, R., Farrell, M., Singleton, N., and Ullrich, S. (2009). Borderline personality disorder: health service use and social functioning among a national household population. Psychological Medicine 39, 1721-1731
- Coid J, Yang M, Tyrer P, Roberts A, Ullrich S. (2006) Prevalence and correlates of personality disorder in Great Britain. British Journal of Psychiatry, 188, 423-431
- Coid J, Petruckevitch A, Feder G, Chung W-S, Richardson J, Moorey S. (2001) Relation between childhood sexual and physical abuse and risk of revictimisation in women: a cross-sectional study. Lancet 358, 450-45
ExpertiseEpidemiology of violence in the general population
Assessment of risk for future violence and improving methods of risk management
Desistance from gang and youth violence
Development of interventions to prevent violence at the secondary level of care
Evaluation of the effectiveness of health services at the tertiary level in the prevention of violence
Investigation of the associations between severe personality disorder and violence
Investigation into the association between psychotic illness an