Professor Kamaldeep Bhui
Centre Lead, Centre for Psychiatry
Email: email@example.com Telephone: Tel: +44 (0) 20 7882 2012Room Number: 2.02 Old Anatomy Building
Professor Bhui works as a clinical academic psychiatrist in London. He qualified in Medicine at the United Medical Schools of Guy's & St Thomas in 1988, and subsequently worked at the Maudsley, Institute of Psychiatry, Guy's, King's, St Thomas' Hospitals and Medical Schools being appointed to his first consultant clinical academic post as a senior lecturer in 2000.
He was appointed Professor in 2003 at QMUL. Previously he was a Wellcome Training Fellow in Health Services Research and Senior Medical Officer in the policy research programme at Department of Health.
He is Director at the Cultural Consultation Service at QMUL (Culturalconsultion.org) and Director of MSc Psychological Therapies, MSc Transcultural Mental Healthcare at QMUL and MSc Mental Health & Law.
He is also the co-founder of Careif (www.careif.org), an international mental health charity that promotes work for young people and their health through culture, sport and arts.
Professor Bhui is President of WACP and Public Health Lead at the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
He is editor of British Journal of Psychiatry, and International Journal of Culture and Mental Health.
He is on the editorial board of Transcultural Psychiatry, Ethnicity and Health, Int.J.Social Psychiatry, and Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology.
- Suicide and harm-harm prevention
- Therapeutic communication and ethnicity
- Violence, extremism and mental illness
- Cultural epidemiology of depression, psychosis and suicide outcomes
- Ethnic inequalities in access to services and improving outcomes
- First episode psychosis and pathways to care
- Cultural consultation interventions for migrants’ mental health care
- Explanatory models interview as assessment and intervention
- Screening among immigrants and ethnic groups
- Quality of life in cancer survivors
- Quality of life and preventive intervention for trauma victims
- Work stress: Gem Study
- Bhui KS, Leungerrand E. Maynard M, Stansfeld SA, Harding S. (2012) Does cultural integration explain a mental health advantage among adolescents. International Journal of Epidemiology, 41(3):791-802
- Bhui KS, Dinos S, Ashby D, Nazroo J, Wessely S, White PD. (2011) Chronic fatigue syndrome in an ethnically diverse population: the influence of psychosocial adversity and physical inactivity. BMC Med. Mar 21;9:26.
- Keown P, Weich S, Bhui K, Scott J. (2011) An ecological study of the association between mental illness bed provision and the rate of involuntary admissions in the NHS in England 1988-2008. BMJ 5, 343:d3736
- Dinos S, Khoshaba B, Ashby D, White PD, Nazroo J, Wessely S, Bhui KS. (2009) A systematic review of chronic fatigue, its syndromes and ethnicity: prevalence, severity, co-morbidity and coping. Int J Epidemiol. Dec;38(6):1554-70.
- Rothon C, Edwards P, Bhui K, Viner RM, Taylor S, Stansfeld SA. (2010) Physical activity and depressive symptoms in adolescents: a prospective study. BMC Med. May 28;8(1):32.
- McKenzie K, Bhui K, Nanchahal K, Blizard B. (2008) Suicide rates in people of South Asian origin in England and Wales: 1993-2003. Br J Psychiatry. Nov;193(5):406-9.
- Bowers L, Whittington R, Nolan P, Parkin D, Curtis S, Bhui K, Hackney D, Allan T, Simpson A. (2008) Relationship between service ecology, special observation and self-harm during acute in-patient care: City-128 study. Br J Psychiatry. Nov;193(5):395-401
- Viner RM, Clark C, Taylor SJ, Bhui K, Klineberg E, Head J, Booy R, Stansfeld SA. (2008) Longitudinal risk factors for persistent fatigue in adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. May;162(5):469-75.
- Bhui K, Khatib Y, Viner R, Klineberg E, Clark C, Head J, Stansfeld S. (2008) Cultural identity, clothing and common mental disorder: a prospective school-based study of white British and Bangladeshi adolescents.J Epidemiol Community Health. 62(5):435-41.
- Bhui K, Warfa N. (2010) Trauma, Khat & Common Psychotic Symptoms: A quantitative study. J Ethnopharmacol. Jul 12. 132(3): 549-53
ExpertiseEpidemiology and screening: work stress, chronic fatigue, suicide, common mental disorders, psychoses, hepatitis, dementia, cancer, and health inequalities
Anthropology: teams and organisations, religiosity, ethnography
Health Services Research: care pathways, homelessness, compulsory detention, ethnic inequalities
Cultural Psychiatry: cultural identity, homeless, race, ethnicity, refugee status, discrimination and social exclusion.
Chronic Disease & Co-Morbidities