PhD funding and opportunities
The Centre for Psychiatry supports applications for funded PhD studentships through the ESRC London Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership (LISS DTP). The Centre is keen to support proposals in the areas of:
- Cultural aspects of psychiatry
- Personality disorders: aetiology, epidemiology and treatment
- Violence: causes, prevention and epidemiology
- Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology: treatments for high-risk offenders and psychopathy
- Trauma and life stress (including childhood maltreatment and bullying victimisation)
- Mood disorders (depression and bipolar disorder)
- Interface between physical and mental illnesses (e.g. mental health of people with chronic physical illnesses)
- Advanced quantitative methods for analysis of complex service use data in criminal justice/mental health
What’s on offer?
Funding will cover tuition fees and a standard maintenance grant of £16,553 per year (2018/19 rates will match those set by Research Councils UK). Funding is provided through either:
- 1 + 3 model (i.e. 1 year doing an MRes in advanced research training, plus 3 years of PhD)
- +3 model where applicants hold a Masters degree with sufficient core research training.
- Due to the competitive nature of the funding and demands of a PhD prospective students should have a 1st or high 2:1 and/or Distinction at masters level
- Meet the ESRC eligibility rules
What to do next?
- Look through the staff list and identify a potential supervisor.
- Email the staff member with the topic you are interested (including specific ideas about a project) and a CV (2 pages max.) outlining your educational qualifications (listing the subject, result, institution and dates), relevant work experience and any publications
The deadlines for applications are usually in January of each year but writing proposals takes 3-6 months to prepare and much effort so please contact potential supervisors as early as possible. See the LISS-DTP website for more details or contact Dr Georgina Hosang with your enquiries email@example.com