Nikolaos (Nikos) Maliaropous
Consultant (Hon) Physician in Sport & Exercise Medicine and Senior Clinical Lecturer CSEM, QMUL
Centre: Sports and Exercise Medicine
Specializing in MSK Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Hamstring and other Injuries
- Tendon injuries
- Bone stress injuries
- Low back pain
- Exercise-Related Groin Pain
- Ultrasound Diagnostic and Imaging-Guided
- Consultant (Hon) Physician in Sport & Exercise Medicine, Bart’s and The London.
- Senior Clinical Lecturer CSEM, Queen Mary University of London.
- Director National Athletics Sports Medicine Centre, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Nikos qualified from Aristotelion University Medical School in 1984, gained his Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine in 1989 from University of London (with Merit) and his MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine in 1999 from QMUL.
Since 1986, he has held the position of Director of the Sports Injuries Clinic of Track and Field Hellenic Association in Thessaloniki and was Chief Medical Officer of the Hellenic Olympic Team XXVIII (Athens 2004). He is a Fellow of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine UK (FSEM), a Member of the British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine (BASEM), and a founding Member of the European College of Sports and Exercise Medicine (ECOSEP). Nikos was also a Balkan Judo Champion, 5th Dan, and British Judo Coach UKCC Level 2.
As a Senior Clinical Lecturer CSEM, Queen Mary University of London he was leading MSc module relating to sports injuries management and currently co-leads the Sports Imaging Module.
Nikos has authored more than 40 peer-reviewed full papers. His main research interests are Muscle Injuries especially Hamstrings, Ankle Ligament Injuries, Bone stress injuries, evidence-based ESWT prescriptions. His passion is sports, and he was CMO of the Hellenic Olympic Team XXVIII (Athens 2004), Elite Judo Player and current Judo Over the last few years the balance of my work has become more clinical and more academic, with a corresponding acceleration in clinical research and paper publication. My medium-term goal is to make the best use of the skills and collaborations I have developed, contributing to the 5 years vision of Sports Medicine at the Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine and Barts. My long-term goal is to deliver all my clinical and academic knowledge in the management of common musculoskeletal conditions to the next Sports and Exercise generation.
Publications within SEM 2001-2016
- Soft tissue injuries are still a challenge in musculoskeletal sports and exercise medicine. Malliaropoulos N, Ghrairi M, Zerguini Y, Padhiar N. Br J Sports Med. 2016 Dec; 50(24):1487. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-097171.
- Muscle Injuries in Sports: A New Evidence-Informed and Expert Consensus-Based Classification with Clinical Application. Valle X, Alentorn-Geli E, Tol JL, Hamilton B, Garrett WE Jr, Pruna R, Til L, Gutierrez JA, Alomar X, Balius R, Malliaropoulos N, Monllau JC, Whiteley R, Witvrouw E, Samuelsson K, Rodas G. Sports Med. 2016 Nov 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Validation of the FASH (Functional Assessment Scale for Acute Hamstring Injuries) questionnaire for German-speaking football players. Lohrer H, Nauck T, Korakakis V, Malliaropoulos N. J Orthop Surg Res. 2016 Oct 24; 11(1):130.
- Historical ESWT Paradigms Are Overcome: A Narrative Review. Lohrer H, Nauck T, Korakakis V, Malliaropoulos N. Biomed Res Int. 2016; 2016:3850461. doi: 10.1155/2016/3850461. Review.
- Hamstring Muscle Injuries, a Rehabilitation Protocol Purpose. Valle X, L Tol J, Hamilton B, Rodas G, Malliaras P, Malliaropoulos N, Rizo V, Moreno M, Jardi J. Asian J Sports Med. 2015 Dec; 6(4):e25411. doi: 10.5812/asjsm.25411. Review.
- Exercise-induced leg pain in sport. Padhiar N, Malliaropoulos N, Lohrer H. Br J Sports Med. 2015 Dec; 49(24):1546-7.
- 4th Congress of the European College of Sports & Exercise Physicians (ECOSEP) scores goals! Opportunities for specialists, trainees, and students in many countries. Nikos Malliaropoulos,Heinz Lohrer,Amir Pakravan, Nat Padhiar. Br J Sports Med 2015;49:1543 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2015-095732
- Cross-cultural Adaptation and Validation of the Exercise-Induced Leg Pain Questionnaire for English- and Greek-Speaking Individuals. Korakakis V, Malliaropoulos N, Baliotis K, Papadopoulou S, Padhiar N, Nauck T, Lohrer H. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2015 Jun; 45(6):485-96.
- ECOSEP: bringing the European SEM family together. West L, Malliaropoulos N, de Jonge S. Br J Sports Med. 2014 Dec;48(22):1585.
- Anterior cruciate ligament and hamstrings: new research to guide clinical management Nikos Malliaropoulos, Xavier Valle , Gil Rodas, Luis Til. Br J Sports Med 2014;48:1583 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-094326
- Comprehensive training programme for judo players nine plus 9+: possible lower limb primary injury prevention. Malliaropoulos NG, Callan M, Johnson J. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2014 Jul 14; 4(2):262-8.
- Muscular strength profile in Tunisian male national judo team. Ghrairi M, Hammouda O, Malliaropoulos N. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2014 Jul 14; 4(2):149-53.
- Why judo. Malliaropoulos N. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2014 Jul 14; 4(2):100.
- Osteitis pubis: can early return to elite competition be contemplated? Jardí J, Rodas G, Pedret C, Til L, Cusí M, Malliaropoulos N, Del Buono A, Maffulli N. Transl Med UniSa. 2014 Apr 8; 10:52-8.
- Epidemiology of injuries in elite taekwondo athletes: two Olympic periods cross-sectional retrospective study. Altarriba-Bartes A, Drobnic F, Til L, Malliaropoulos N, Montoro JB, Irurtia A. BMJ Open. 2014 Feb 14; 4(2)
- Injuries in judo: a systematic literature review including suggestions for prevention. Pocecco E, Ruedl G, Stankovic N, Sterkowicz S, Del Vecchio FB, Gutiérrez-García C, Rousseau R, Wolf M, Kopp M, Miarka B, Menz V, Krüsmann P, Calmet M, Malliaropoulos N, Burtscher M. Br J Sports Med. 2013 Dec; 47(18):1139-43. 0x1 Abstract Word Document,1 page.
- Judo, the gentle way. Malliaropoulos N, Callan M, Pluim B. Br J Sports Med. 2013 Dec; 47(18):1137.
- Blood phosphorus and magnesium levels in 130 elite track and field athletes. Malliaropoulos N, Tsitas K, Porfiriadou A, Papalada A, R Ames P, Del Buono A, Lippi G, Maffulli N. Asian J Sports Med. 2013 Mar;4(1):49-53.
- Non contact Hamstring injuries in sports. Malliaropoulos NG. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2013 Jan 21; 2(4):309-11.
- Arthroscopic treatment of chronic patellar tendinopathy in high-level athletes. Alaseirlis DA, Konstantinidis GA, Malliaropoulos N, Nakou LS, Korompilias A, Maffulli N. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2013 Jan 21;2(4):267-72. 0x1 Abstract Word Document,1 page.
- International differences in sport medicine access and clinical management. Heron N, Malliaropoulos NG. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2013 Jan 21; 2(4):248-52.
- Nonuniform changes in MRI measurements of the thigh muscles after two hamstring strengthening exercises. Mendiguchia J, Garrues MA, Cronin JB, Contreras B, Los Arcos A, Malliaropoulos N, Maffulli N, Idoate F. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Mar; 27(3):574-81.
- Body Composition and Dietary Intake of Elite Cross-country Skiers Members of the Greek National Team. Papadopoulou SK, Gouvianaki A, Grammatikopoulou MG, Maraki Z, Pagkalos IG, Malliaropoulos N, Hassapidou MN, Maffulli N. Asian J Sports Med. 2012 Dec; 3(4):257-66.
- Cross-cultural adaptation of the VISA-P questionnaire for Greek-speaking patients with patellar tendinopathy. Korakakis V, Patsiaouras A, Malliaropoulos N. Br J Sports Med. 2014 Dec; 48(22):1647-52.
- Hamstring exercises for track and field athletes: injury and exercise biomechanics, and possible implications for exercise selection and primary prevention. Malliaropoulos N, Mendiguchia J, Pehlivanidis H, Papadopoulou S, Valle X, Malliaras P, Maffulli N. Br J Sports Med. 2012 Sep; 46(12):846-51.
- High-speed running type or stretching-type of hamstring injuries makes a difference to treatment and prognosis. Askling CM, Malliaropoulos N, Karlsson J. Br J Sports Med. 2012 Feb; 46(2):86-7.
- On-field sports medicine emergencies: what's new!. Heinz Lohrer, Nikos Malliaropoulos. Br J Sports Med 2012;46:1089-1090
- Isolated tears of the gracilis muscle. Pedret C, Balius R, Barceló P, Miguel M, Lluís A, Valle X, Gougoulias N, Malliaropoulos N, Maffulli N. Am J Sports Med. 2011 May; 39(5):1077-80.
- Radial extracorporeal shockwave therapy for the treatment of finger tenosynovitis (trigger digit). Malliaropoulos N, Jury R, Pyne D, Padhiar N, Turner J, Korakakis V, Meke M, Lohrer H. Open Access J Sports Med. 2016 Oct 31; 7:143-151.
- Success and Recurrence Rate after Radial Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Plantar Fasciopathy: A Retrospective Study. Malliaropoulos N, Crate G, Meke M, Korakakis V, Nauck T, Lohrer H, Padhiar N. Biomed Res Int. 2016; 2016:9415827.
- Active knee range of motion assessment in elite track and field athletes: normative values. Malliaropoulos N, Kakoura L, Tsitas K, Christodoulou D, Siozos A, Malliaras P, Maffulli N. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2015 Oct 20; 5(3):203-7.
- Muscle and intensity based hamstring exercise classification in elite female track and field athletes: implications for exercise selection during rehabilitation. Tsaklis P, Malliaropoulos N, Mendiguchia J, Korakakis V, Tsapralis K, Pyne D, Malliaras P. Open Access J Sports Med. 2015 Jun 26; 6:209-17.
- Development and validation of a questionnaire (FASH--Functional Assessment Scale for Acute Hamstring Injuries): to measure the severity and impact of symptoms on function and sports ability in patients with acute hamstring injuries. Malliaropoulos N, Korakakis V, Christodoulou D, Padhiar N, Pyne D, Giakas G, Nauck T, Malliaras P, Lohrer H. Br J Sports Med. 2014 Dec; 48(22):1607-12.
- Low-level laser therapy in meniscal pathology: a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. Malliaropoulos N, Kiritsi O, Tsitas K, Christodoulou D, Akritidou A, Del Buono A, Maffulli N. Lasers Med Sci. 2013 Jul;28(4):1183-8.
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy for patients suffering from recalcitrant Osgood-Schlatter disease. Lohrer H, Nauck T, Schöll J, Zwerver J, Malliaropoulos N. Sportverletz Sportschaden. 2012 Dec;26(4):218-22.
- Ultrasound as a primary evaluation tool of bone stress injuries in elite track and field athletes. Papalada A, Malliaropoulos N, Tsitas K, Kiritsi O, Padhiar N, Del Buono A, Maffulli N. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Apr; 40(4):915-9.
- Reinjury after acute posterior thigh muscle injuries in elite track and field athletes. Malliaropoulos N, Isinkaye T, Tsitas K, Maffulli N. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Feb; 39(2):304-10.
- Posterior thigh muscle injuries in elite track and field athletes. Malliaropoulos N, Papacostas E, Kiritsi O, Papalada A, Gougoulias N, Maffulli N. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Sep; 38(9):1813-9.
- Ultrasonographic evaluation of plantar fasciitis after low-level laser therapy: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Kiritsi O, Tsitas K, Malliaropoulos N, Mikroulis G. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Mar; 25(2):275-81.
- Reinjury after acute lateral ankle sprains in elite track and field athletes. Malliaropoulos N, Ntessalen M, Papacostas E, Longo UG, Maffulli N. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Sep; 37(9):1755-61.
- Acute lateral ankle sprains in track and field athletes: an expanded classification. Malliaropoulos N, Papacostas E, Papalada A, Maffulli N. Foot Ankle Clin. 2006 Sep; 11(3):497-507.
- The role of stretching in rehabilitation of hamstring injuries: 80 athletes follow-up. Malliaropoulos N, Papalexandris S, Papalada A, Papacostas E. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 May; 36(5):756-9.
- Validation of Ottawa ankle rules protocol in Greek athletes: study in the emergency departments of a district general hospital and a sports injuries clinic. Papacostas E, Malliaropoulos N, Papadopoulos A, Liouliakis C. Br J Sports Med. 2001 Dec; 35(6):445-7.