Widening Participation students in Years 7 - 11 take part in the activities listed below.
- Year 7 Growth Mindset Workshop
- Year 8 Visit Days
- Year 8 Experience University Week: Humanities
- Year 11 Experience Health Sciences week
- Teachers - resources and information
- Bridge the Gap
- Presentations, workshops and fairs
- Boys, Books and Blogging
Year 7 Growth Mindset Workshop
We have received unprecedented interest in these workshops for 2017-18, therefore if you are interested your school will be placed on a waiting list.
50 minute - 1 hour interactive session delivered in school.
Introducing students to the concept of growth mindset and how this approach can be applied to their school life.
These workshops are only available to selected schools from within our target 11 London boroughs. Contact email@example.com to determine if your school can request this workshop or to ask to be added to our monthly bulletin containing all the outreach activities taking place across QMUL which are often open pan London.
Thirty students per group, up to two sessions can be booked per school.
Year 8 Visits Days
Dates for 2017/18 have been sent to selected schools from our target 11 London boroughs and are now all full.
Exclusively for Year 8 students before they choose their option subjects, groups visit QMUL for a day of activitiy and a session at the Centre of the Cell. Groups must be at least twenty students, preferably thirty (max), plus up to three teachers.
Visit days introduce students to the university enviornment and raises their awareness of the options available, developing confidence, aspiration and a sense of belonging in a higher education setting.
The day was excellent, students were very engaged and finished with a clear understanding that university is an option for them.
- 10:00 – 11:50, University knowledge development - interactive discussion and group work
- 11:50 – 12:15, Campus Tour
- 12:15 - 13:00, Pizza Lunch (FREE)
- 13:00 – 13:30, Walk to Whitechapel
- 13:30 – 15:00, Centre of the Cell (FREE)
Schools start the day at Mile End Campus and end the day at Whitechapel campus.
At least 90% of the students selected to attend must be from a Widening Participation background.
Data forms are supplied to schools to attach to parental consent forms. These must be completed and returned before the visit day.
Year 8 Experience University Week: Humanities
Monday 11th - Friday 15th June 2018
Priority schools are approached to select eligible students to attend.
There are no grade requirements to apply to this programme.
The week includes:
- Practical sessions introducing a wide range of humanities degree subjects; English, drama, history, geography, law AND politics!
- A tour of the university campus, familiarising students with lecture theatres, seminar rooms and the Students' Union
- FREE workshops at the Royal Courts of Justice.
- The opportunity to quiz current students on their university experience
- A graduation ceremony to complete the week
From taking part in the Humanities Summer School I have gained…
A lot of confidence and knowledge about university so in the future I am prepared for what is coming up.
Students travel, to and from QMUL, from the most appropriate tube station with a member of QMUL staff or student ambassador each day.
Year 11 Experience Health Sciences Week
Monday 30 July - Saturday 4 August 2018
Applications to this programme are now closed. The deadline for applications was 5pm on Monday 4 December 2017. Students who have applied to this programme will receive the outcome via email before Christmas.
- Anticipated to achieve AAABBB /777666 at GCSE (including Maths, English Language, and either Biology and Chemistry or Double Science)
Open to eligible state school students pan London
We have been collaborating with The University of Warwick on this week for 5 years. It is a free residential week whereby students spend half the week at Warwick University and half at Queen Mary, staying in university accommodation at both sites.
We ask teachers to promote this programme to students in their school, it takes place during the summer holidays, therefore, all correspondence is sent directly to the student and their parents in the run-up to the week.
Half of the thirty students who are selected to attend are recruited from the Midlands, and half from London.
The week includes:
- Clinical practical sessions
- 'Problem-based learning' project and presentation
- Discussion with current university students
- Advice and guidance sessions designed to maximise chances of achieving an offer
- Social activities
Going to two universities showed us how different they are...the summer school was absolutely fantastic...
Summer School Participants 2016
For advice about applying see our Medicine and Dentistry tips webpage.
Presentations, workshops and fairs
Please contact us, at least a month in advance, if you are holding an event for students in Year 7 - 11 about university. On occasion we are able to deliver presentations and workshops at schools or man a stall at a fair.
To attend these events we often send trained student ambassadors on our behalf, however during the months of May, June and July this is not possible due to exams and summer schools taking place.
Follow us on Twitter @QMULWP