Welcome to Queen Mary University: A Guide to Freshers Activities
Congratulations on getting into Queen Mary! As one of the top Universities in the UK and joint first in London for student satisfaction, we’re sure the next few years will be a really exciting time in your life.
3 September 2015
Before the studying begins, there’s Freshers, which you have undoubtedly been anticipating more than your lessons! There’s a lot going on both within the University and throughout London so we’re here to guide you through everything.
Queen Mary’s Students Union is your first stop for everything you need to know about Freshers. Visit the Student Union website for a full list of events on offer, which includes:
- Club nights at our campus club Drapers as well as venues throughout London
- Ikea shopping trip for all the essential items you need to decorate your room
- Discounted theatre tickets to top performances such as Wicked and The Lion King
- Freshers’ Fair where you can sign up for sports clubs, societies and volunteering opportunities
- Tour Greenwich in south east London and experience all its sites and sounds
- Floating Cinema docking on the canal side of campus by our residences
- Get Active Sports Day where you can join in with sports games at our QMotion gym
- Cycle Tour of London because what’s better than exploring the landmarks of London on foot? Exploring them on cycle!
- Harry Potter Studio Tour & Oxford Daytrip where you will explore the Warner Brothers Studio set of Harry Potter and then travel to Oxford for a guided tour of England’s oldest University
- Speed Meeting giving you the nudge to meet new students and make new friends
- Bath & Stonehenge Tour where you will visit Britain’s beautiful city of Bath, enjoy a fully guided tour and see the pre-historic Stonehenge monument
- Acoustic performances at Ground Café on campus, showcasing Queen Mary student talent and upcoming UK artists in weekly Coffee House Sessions
- Quiz nights with prizes and vouchers up for grabs!
- Freshers’ Ball and Boat Party along the Thames, ending off the Freshers season and bringing you to all of London’s sites!
Some of these events are included with the Freshers Pass, which can be purchased through the Students’ Union website.
There are many other events taking place throughout the week, including:
- School/Institute induction sessions where you’ll meet students in your degree programme and learn more about what you’ll be studying in the year ahead
- Moving in weekend on 19-20th September for those students living in Queen Mary residences. You’ll finally get to meet your new flat mates and settle into your room!
- East London walking tours on Monday 21st September give you the opportunity to explore vibrant East London through a guided 2-hour tour. Tickets are £3 and can be booked online anytime before 16th September.
- Library Tours will be offered for those who are keen on getting to know what resources are available throughout your studies. IT services will also be set up in the library for drop-in sessions in case you have issues connecting to WiFi, log-in problems or any other IT-related matters!
Finally, if you’re an international student, we’ll also be holding a special welcome programme for you, including information on healthcare, banking in the UK, adapting to your studies and more! If you’re unable to make these sessions, we’ll be posting the recordings online.
As you can see, we have a lot going on! Make sure you are following us on social media - @futureQMUL (Twitter) and @officialqmul (Instagram) and share your Freshers experience using the hashtag #QMUL.
Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
- Carolyn Minaudo is a final year student at Queen Mary, studying an accelerated two-year Law degree. Originally from Toronto, she also has a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature and Political Science from Queen’s University in Canada. Carolyn came to London for the first time to begin studying at QMUL and hopes through sharing her student experience you’ll be inspired to join her!