Surgical Skills and Science
The Queen Mary’s Surgical Skills & Science Summer School is designed for students who aim to follow a career in surgery, or allied healthcare professionals who need to acquire basic surgical techniques. Combining traditional teaching with hands-on practice and simulation, the course aims to deliver comprehensive training on basic surgical skills, as well as introduce fundamental research methodology. Experienced and approachable instructors will allow participants to learn and practise in a safe and friendly environment. The on-site laparoscopic surgery training facilities will provide a unique immersive experience into simulation-based learning, ranging from 3D trainer boxes to the use of virtual reality. To ensure a genuine hands-on experience, animal tissue will be used to enhance the participants’ experience and consolidate their learning.
Course content is subject to approval.
To deliver comprehensive training on basic surgical skills, as well as introduce fundamental research methodology.
Teaching and learning
By studying this course, you will learn to:
- Understand and explain the discipline and principles guiding surgery
- Understand and demonstrate basic surgical techniques
- Understand and demonstrate laparoscopic surgical techniques
- Understand and explain non-surgical aspects of surgical procedures
- Demonstrate surgical skills in suturing including knot tying
- Demonstrate how to set up laparoscopic equipment
- Understand and explain the uses of various surgical instruments
- Critical analysis of surgical literature
- Understand and explain the discipline of surgery for doctors who would like to embark on a surgical career
- Understanding and interpretation of surgical research
- Appreciation and understanding of personal development in surgical techniques
- Appreciation and understanding of personal development in non-surgical aspects
- Hone communication skills
- Psychological preparation for surgery
The Queen Mary Summer School costs: £1,700 per session, which includes tution and social programme.
We offer a 10% discount to:
- Students and staff from partner institutions
- Current Queen Mary students
The cost of accommodation is £670 per session. For further information, please visit our accommodation page.
Additional costs and course excursions
There may be additional costs for field trips, which will be in the region of £10-20.
All reading material will be provided online, so it is not necessary to purchase any books.
Please note there is no deposit payment required for the Queen Mary Summer School.
No prior knowledge of surgery or surgical skills is required.
We welcome Summer School students from around the world. We accept a range of qualifications:
- if your home institution uses the four-point Grade Point Average (GPA) scale, we usually require a 3.0 GPA
- if your home institution uses the letter scale, you will need to have a B+
We welcome international qualifications and we consider every application individually on its academic merit.
English language requirements
All of our courses are taught and assessed in English. If English isn’t your first language, you must meet one of the following English Language requirements in order to join the Queen Mary Summer School:
- If you hold a degree from a majority English speaking country plus Canada you may use this degree to satisfy the English language requirements for entry, provided the degree was completed no more than 5 years before the start date of the course to which you are applying.
- IELTS, 6.5 overall or higher
- TOEFL Internet Based Test we require a minimum of 100 (L22; S25; R24; W27)
- China UEE (University Entrance Exam) - 110
- CET 4 – 550 or CET 6 – 490
- PTE Academic 68
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English 185 70- grade C (old marking system)
- Applicants with an alternative qualification should check it is equivalent to the above or contact us at email@example.com
How to apply
Have a question? Get in touch, one of the team will be happy to help.