QMUL Summer Schools

Before you arrive menu

Pre-arrival information – Visas and immigration

The following information has been provided by the Welfare Advisers in the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service, who are trained immigration advisers and are regulated by the UK Government’s Immigration Services Commissioner. You can read more about this on their website: Advice and Counselling Service Immigration Advice

Travelling to the UK

To travel to the UK, you may be required to apply in advance for immigration permission to enter the country (this is usually called a visa).

If you are coming to join us for the Summer School, you would normally obtain a Short-term Student Visa:

  • You cannot undertake any kind of work (paid or unpaid) or any internships. However, volunteering is permitted. (If you think this might apply to you, you should consult the student advice guide on part-time work at:
  • If you are a non-visa national, you can choose to apply for Short-term Student leave in your home country (which will cost you £93) or on arrival in the UK.
  • If you are a visa national, you must apply for a Short-term Student Visa outside the UK before you travel.
  • It depends on your nationality as to whether you need to apply for a Short-term Student Visa from outside the UK before you travel, or whether you can obtain it on arrival in the UK. You can check our guide to see the current list of visa nationals.

Short-term Student Visa conditions:

  • You will be given permission to stay in the UK for a maximum of six months. You should intend to leave the UK at the end of your course, or the end of the six months, whichever is earlier.
  • You cannot apply to stay in the country for longer from inside the UK (either as a Short-term Student or as a Tier 4 (General) Student.
  • A student with Short-term Student leave should not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home.

Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission

In exceptional circumstances, it may be possible for you to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Visa instead of Short-term Student leave. Please contact us if you think that you want to apply for a Tier 4 Visa. You should refer to our Tier 4 advice guide Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission for detailed information on the Tier 4 Visa application process. 

Travelling to the UK via the Republic of Ireland

If you plan to enter the UK from the Republic of Ireland, you need to check how this affects your immigration status. Please refer to our guidance What immigration permission do I need to study at Queen Mary?

“I have never felt more safe or comfortable inside a large city"

William Groff, University of Southern California, spring 2016

Return to top