Professor Steve Thomas, B.Sc QMUL (physics) Ph.D KCL (maths)
Professor of Theoretical Physics
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: 020 7882 5767Room Number: G. O. Jones Building, Room 611
I did my undergraduate degree in Physics at Queen Mary Univeristy of London and my Ph.D. in the departmemt of mathematics King's College London.
I undertook postdoctoral reseach at QMUL, The University of Pennsylvania and CERN before returning to QMUL as a Royal Society University Research Fellow.
Currently I am one of the Module Organisers for the year 1 Lab course Scientific Measurement (SPA4103) and the for the year 3 B.Sc. module Quantum Mechanics and Symmetry (SPA6325). In the past I have taught various modules including Mathematical Techniques 1, Mathematical Techniques 3, From Newton to Einstein, Electric and Magnetic Fields, Quantum Mechanics B and Electromagnetic Theory.
I am a member of the Centre for Research in String Theory. My past research interests has involved models of string/particle phenomenology and cosmology included topics such as non-abelian Dirac-Born-Infeld (DBI) theories of coincident D-branes and their application in models of inflationary cosmology; tachyon condensation in multiple unstable D-brane systems and defect formation; particle physics models based on ISS type metastable supersymmetry breaking. Currently my research has focused on high energy scattering in gravity/supergravity and string theories, in the so called eikonal approximation.
Examples of research funding:
- Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council: Berman, Brandhuber, Ramgoolam, Spence, Thomas. Rolling grant String theory, gauge theory and gravity (2006-2010), £249,800
- European Union, Framework 6, Marie Curie Training and Mobility of Researchers Grant, Superstrings, Theory Group, Department of Physics, Queen Mary, (2004-2008), €259,980 £162,000.
- Collado AK, Thomas S (2019), Eikonal scattering in Kaluza-Klein gravity $nameOfConference
- KOEMANS COLLADO A, Di Vecchia P, RUSSO R et al. (2018), The subleading eikonal in supergravity theories $nameOfConference
- Kenton Z, Mulryne DJ, Thomas S (2015), Generating the cosmic microwave background power asymmetry with $nameOfConference
- Kenton Z, Thomas S (2015), D-brane potentials in the warped resolved conifold and natural inflation $nameOfConference
- Tallarita G, Thomas S (2010), Maxwell-Chern-Simons vortices and holographic superconductors $nameOfConference
- Calo V, Tallarita G, Thomas S (2010), Non Abelian geometrical tachyon $nameOfConference
- Calo V, Tallarita G, Thomas S (2010), Dirac-Born-Infeld actions and tachyon monopoles $nameOfConference
- Koschade D, McGarrie M, Thomas S (2010), Direct mediation and metastable supersymmetry breaking for SO(10) $nameOfConference
- Lake M, Thomas S, Ward J (2010), Non-topological cycloops $nameOfConference
- Lake M, Thomas S, Ward J (2009), String necklaces and primordial black holes from type IIB strings $nameOfConference
- Calo V, Tallarita G, Thomas S (2009), Non Abelian tachyon kinks $nameOfConference
- Calo V, Thomas S (2008), Phase transitions in separated Dp-1 and anti-Dp-1 branes at finite temperature $nameOfConference
- Huston I, Lidsey JE, Thomas S et al. (2008), Gravitational wave constraints on multi-brane inflation $nameOfConference
- Anguelova L, Thomas S, Ricci R (2008), Metastable supersymmetry breaking and supergravity at finite temperature $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2007), IR inflation from multiple branes $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2006), Non-abelian (p,q) strings in the warped deformed conifold $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2006), Electrified fuzzy spheres and funnels in curved backgrounds $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2006), Fuzzy sphere dynamics and non-Abelian DBI in curved background $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2005), Geometrical tachyon kinks and NS5 branes $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2005), Inflation from geometrical tachyons $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2005), D-brane dynamics near compactified NS5-branes $nameOfConference
- Thomas S, Ward J (2005), D-brane dynamics and NS5 rings $nameOfConference
- Ramgoolam S, Spence B, Thomas S (2004), Resolving brane collapse with 1/N corrections in non-Abelian DBI $nameOfConference
- Behrndt K, Herrmann C, Louis J et al. (2001), Domain walls in five dimensional supergravity with non-trivial hypermultiplets $nameOfConference
- Coceal O, Thomas S (1996), Conformal models of magnetohydrodynamic turbulence $nameOfConference
- Bailin D, Love A, A. Sabra W et al. (1995), Target space duality in orbifolds with continuous and discrete Wilson lines $nameOfConference
- Lalak Z, Thomas S, Ovrut BA (1993), Domain wall formation in the post-inflationary universe $nameOfConference