Mr Matthew Machowski
Visiting Research Fellow
Each year I teach and supervise final year undergraduate and graduate students in their Extended Independent Project module. I offer supervision and monitoring to students interested in extended research in science policy, nuclear weapons, nuclear proliferation and international security.
University of East London - US Foreign Policy in the Middle East and North Africa
My research interests
Mr Machowski is a Visiting Research Fellow (Nuclear Security and the Middle East). He has a BA (Hons) in International Studies (Goldsmiths & School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London), and an MA with Distinction in International Peace and Security (King's College London). His current research interests include nuclear weapons, nuclear proliferation and security, defence, science policy, Middle Eastern politics, Gulf studies, Iran, Qatar, international relations of the Gulf states, human rights in the Middle East, water and resource security, counter-radicalisation.
Mr Machowski is an experienced defence and politics consultant and analyst. He's a frequent media commentator (BBC, NPR, The Guardian, The Times etc) with particular emphasis on international security and the Middle East. Matthew published a number of peer-reviewed articles, and provided political and business consultancy to both governmental and business institutions. He's a former Manager - Defence, Aviation and Cyber Security at Visiongain (London-based Business Intelligence and Analytics firm); and Research Analyst at the UK Houses of Parliament and the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI).
Matthew travelled extensively to over 50 countries worldwide. Studied, lived and worked throughout Europe and the Middle East.
- Machowski, M. (2015). Top 20 Cyber Security Companies 2015: Analysis of Leading Players, Competitive Positioning & Future Market Opportunities. Visiongain
- Machowski, M. (2015). Top 15 Defence Contractors Competing in the Middle East Defence Market 2015. Visiongain
- Machowski, M. (2015). Distributed Fibre Optic Sensing (DFOS) Market 2015-2025: DAS, DTS & Other Sensors for Critical Infrastructure, Military, Security, & Upstream Oil & Gas Applications. Visiongain
- Machowski, M. (2014). CBRN Defence Market Forecast 2015-2025: Chemical, Biological, Radiological, & Nuclear Detection, Protection, Decontamination, Simulation Equipment. Visiongain
- Machowski, M. (2013). Obama and Iran’s 2013 Elections: The Role of Presidents in the Nuclear Crisis. House of Commons Library Standard Note SN06655. London: UK Houses of Parliament.
- Machowski, M. (2011). ‘How the Gulf is Keeping Water Security Fears at Bay’. RUSI Analysis, May.
- Machowski, M. (2011). ‘Barber's Strong Democracy: Egyptian Case Study’. Studia Bliskowschodnie [Near-eastern Studies], 5 (1), pp. 30-38.
- RUSI. (2011). Qatar in the Age of Cyber-Security. Report commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar. Doha: Royal United Services Institute (Qatar). (Collaborative report).
- RUSI. (2011). Iran’s Business Entities of Concern Linked to Nuclear Proliferation. Report commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Doha: Royal United Services Institute (Qatar). (Collaborative report).
- Machowski, M. (2011). Kurds in the Hydro-Politics of the Region. London: Kurdish Human Rights Project.
- Radio Free Europe - IS 'Water War' Dries Marshes In Southern Iraq
- BBC - 8 things you should know about Syria and the Syrian conflict
- NPR (US) – In Arid Iraq, Control of Water is Part of ISIS Arsenal
- The South China Morning Post – Control of water supplies seen as seen as key to Iraq and Syria conflicts, article published in the print edition of the paper
- The Guardian – Water Becomes a Weapon in Iraq War, print edition of the paper
- BBC Arabic – live TV interview: Gulf diplomatic crisis over Qatar's 'interference'
- RT Arabic – live TV interview: Plans of the Emir of Qatar to transfer power will affect governments in other Gulf states, 11 June
- The Voice of Russia – live radio interview: Upcoming Iranian elections 'dramatic, surprising, and unexpected', 11 June
- BBC Arabic Newshour – live TV panel discussion on the Obama’s visit to Israel, 20 March
- BBC World Service – live radio discussion on the historic distortions of Iran’s history in Argo, 13 March
- RT English – featured in: High Cost of Cheap Energy: Fukushima Tragedy 2 Years On, 11 March
- RT English Weekly News – live TV interview: Japan’s politics of energy security and global implications of Fukushima Daichi plant disaster, 10 March
- BBC Arabic Newshour – live TV panel discussion with Prof Madawi Al-Rasheed about political opposition in Saudi Arabia’s Qassim Province, 9 March
- RT English Headline News – live TV interview: Iran: Out of Arms Way, 12 February
- ‘Nuclear Weapons and Iran’ lecture was featured by the PBS Frontline Tehran Bureau, 30 November
- Al Jazeera English – featured in Canada closes its embassy in Iran, 8 September
- The Times – interviewed for Obama Administration welcomes Qatar’s rise as power broker with US enemies, 25 June
- The Times – interviewed for: Britain and France ‘using Qatar to arm Libyan rebels, 25 June
- NHK World News TV (Japan) – TV interview: Qatar’s involvement in the Libyan Crisis, 24 May
- 567 CapeTalk (South Africa) – live radio interview – GCC military deployment to Bahrain, 16 March