Francesca Di Lodovico
Head of PPRC, Professor of Particle Physics
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: 020 7882 6061Room Number: G. O. Jones Building, Room 413
Teaching and Recruitment
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Master (MSc) Projects Module organizer. Note: the Master programme is new (started in 2016)!
- Quantum Mechanics B Deputy Module Organizer
- Electric and Magnetic Fields, Deputy Module Organizer
- Synoptic Physics tutor
- SEFP School and Physics coordinator
- Director of Admissions in the School of Physics and Astronomy.
- Co-chair of the Recruitment Committee in the School of Physics and Astronomy.
- Field and Waves Deputy Module Organizer
- SEFP tutor for SEF030.
- Physics with Particle Physics BSc (F392) and MSci (F393) programme organizer (and creator) (2008-2014).
- Scientific Measurements (PHY-103)
- Elementary Particle Physics (PHY-306)
- Quantum Physics Deputy Module Organizer.
Current PhD Students
- Tommaso Boschi (joint studentship with Durham), from Oct. 2016
- Susana Sedgwick (joint studentship with Southampton), from Oct 2016
- Paul Martins
- Ashley Back
- Sophie King (joint studentship with Southampton)
Former PhD Students
- 2015, Ela Poplawska, "Study of the neutral current interaction with a pi0 in the final state in the ND280 detector of the T2K experiment"
- 2015, Linda Cremonesi, "Measurement of the muon neutrino charged current pion production cross-section on water using the T2K near detector" using the T2K near detector"
- 2011, Alex Hyndman, "Muon Neutrino Disappearance at T2K"
- 2010, Melissa George, "Calibrating the Electromagnetic Calorimeter of T2K"
- 2009, Michael Sigamani, "Determination of |Vub| using the lepton energy spectrum in events tagged with a fully reconstructed B meson"
- 2009, Chukwudi Clarke, "Measurements of Partial Branching Fractions for B -> Xulnu and Determination of |Vub|"
Erasmus+ students: 6. Chinese Summer student: 1
My main interest is in understanding the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the Universe. One of the best ways to do this is by studying the properties of the neutrino. Understanding the nature of this elusive particle is one of the highest priorities in physics today. However, getting the neutrino to reveal its secrets is not a simple matter. It requires complex experiments employing state-of-the-art technologies and equally complex analysis methods.
Long-baseline neutrino experiments provide the best and most direct way to measure the CP violating nature of the neutrino. I hold leadership positions in current and next generation long-baseline neutrino experiments.
My current research focuses on the T2K experiment located in Japan. This experiment is currently the most successful long-baseline neutrino experiment in the world. It consists of a near-detector, nd280, located close to the beam and a far-detector, Super-Kamiokande, located in a mountain 295Km away from the beam. It provided the first indication that muon neutrinos oscillate into electron neutrinos.
Further work is currently underway to measure the electron neutrino and antineutrino appearance and reduce the systematic errors through a better understanding of (anti)neutrino cross section and neutrino nucleon interactions using the nd280 detector array.
Since Jan 2016 I am also a member of the Super-Kamiokande collaboration focussing in particular on the enhancement of the detector with gadolinium.
I am also dedicating time to the next generation of long baseline neutrino experiments: Hyper-Kamiokande, that aims to definitely measure CP violation in the leptonic sector, precisely determine all the oscillation parameters and perform a rich set of other measurement, like the proton decay, supernova burst studies, relic neutrinos determination etc.
I am a member of the ANNIE collaboration that aims to be the first experiment to use a new type of detector, LAPPD, in water.
In 2011, I became a member of SNO+, where I am interested in understanding what type the neutrino is: whether it is Dirac or Majorana.
From 2011 to 2014, I worked on the LAGUNA-LBNO FP7 project that aims to study the hardware and physics case for a next-generation very large multipurpose underground neutrino observatory in Europe that aims to accurately measure CP violation and neutrino mass differences.
I am also a member of the BaBar experiment, on which I worked on the radiative penguin and semileptonic decays (of which group I was chair in the HFAG), and a former member of the L3 experiment, on which I worked on the Higgs search.
Selected Recent Publications (click here for a full publication list):
- I am generally involved in all the T2K cross section papers as cross section convener.
- Letter of Intent: The Accelerator Neutrino Neutron Interaction Experiment (ANNIE), arXiv:1504.01480.
- Physics Potential of a Long Baseline Neutrino Oscillation Experiment Using J-PARC Neutrino Beam and Hyper-Kamiokande, arXiv:1502.05199 [hep-ex], accepted by PTEP.
- A Long Baseline Neutrino Oscillation Experiment Using J-PARC Neutrino Beam and Hyper-Kamiokande, arXiv:1412.4673 [physics.ins-det].
- Precise Measurement of the Neutrino Mixing Parameter θ23 from Muon Neutrino Disappearance in an Off-axis Beam, arXiv:1403.1532 [hep-ex], Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 181801, 2014.
- Expression of Interest: The Atmospheric Neutrino Neutron Interaction Experiment (ANNIE), arXiv:1402.6411 [physics.ins-det].
- Neutrinos, Report of the Community Summer Study 2013 (Snowmass) Intensity Frontier Neutrino Working Group, arXiv:1310:4340 [hep-ex]
- Hyper-Kamiokande Physics Opportunities, arXiv:1309.0184 [hep-ex].
- The Electromagnetic Calorimeter for the T2K Near Detector ND280, arXiv:1308.3445 [physics.ins-det], JINST 8 P10019.
- Measurement of Neutrino Oscillation Parameters from Muon Neutrino Disappearance with an Off-axis Beam, arXiv:1308.0465 [hep-ex].
- Evidence of Electron Neutrino Appearance in a Muon Neutrino Beam, Phys.Rev. D88 (2013) 032002, arXiv:1304.0841 [hep-ex].
- Expression of Interest for a very long baseline neutrino oscillation experiment (LBNO), CERN-SPSC-2012-021, SPSC-EOI-007.
- First Muon-Neutrino Disappearance Study with an Off-Axis Beam, Physical Review D 85, 031103(R) (2012),arXiv:1201.1386v1 [hep-ex].
- F. Di Lodovico, The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, FPCP2015, POS FPCP2015 (2015), 038.
- F. Di Lodovico, Neutrino physics perspectives with Hyper-Kamiokande, NOW2014, Nucl. Part. Phys. Proc. 265-266 (2015 275-280.
- F. Di Lodovico, The ANNIE Experiment, NUFACT2014, POS NUFACT2014 (2015), 119.
- F. Di Lodovico, Hyper-Kamiokande Project, NUFACT2014, POS NUFACT2014 (2015), 007.
- Editor: Prospects in Neutrino Physics 2013 - NuPhys2013, 2015, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 598 011001.
- F. Di Lodovico, Latest Results on T2K and Hyper-Kamiokande Perspectiives, 1th Internaitonal Conference on Hyperons, Charm and Beauty Hadrons (BEACH 2014), Birmingham, UK, July 21-26 2014, J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 556 (2014), 1, 012061.
- F. Di Lodovico, T2K Results and Future Plans, Contribution to NUFACT 11, XIIIth International Workshop on Neutrino Factories, Super beams and Beta beams, 1-6 August 2011, CERN and University of Geneva arXiv:1110.5382v1 [hep-ex] (to be published by the IOP conference series).
- A Review of the Magnitudes of the CKM Matrix Elements, International Journal of Modern Physics A, Vol. 23, No. 31 (2008) 4945-4958, arXiv:0811.3540.
This is not an exhaustive list and I would be happy to discuss other project possibilities.
Selected Recent Talks:
- The Ghost Particle (also on youtube), Colloquium, University of Padua, Padua, 2 March 2017
- Hyper-Kamiokande, Particle Physics Community Meeting, Birmingham, 26 July 2016.
- The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, NEUTRINO2016, London, 6 July 2016.
- The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, CERN Science Policy Committee (CERN), 15 December 2015.
- The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, GDR, Saclay, 5 November 2015.
- The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, FPCP2015, Nagoya, 25-29 May 2015.
- What are we learning from oscillation measurements?, CIPANP2015, Vail (Colorado), 19-24 2015.
- Hyper-Kamiokande, NOW2014, Conca Specchiulla (Otranto, Lecce, Italy), 7-14 September 2014.
- Hyper-Kamiokande, NUFACT2014, Glasgow, 25-30 August 2014.
- T2K and Hyper-K, BEACH2014, Birmingham, 21-26 July 2014.
- CP violation in the leptonic sector, 50 Years of CP Violation, 10-11 June 2014.
- Three presentations at the 4th Open Meeting for the Hyper-Kamiokande Project, 27-28 January 2014.
- HyperK project and proposed European involvement, ICFA European Town Meeting, 8-10 January 2014.
- Neutrino Oscillations Present, "Quarks and Leptons", UK HEP Forum, Cosener's House, 14-15 November 2013.
- Hyper-Kamiokande R&D, NNN13 Workshop on Next Generation Nucleon Decay and Neutrino Detectors, Kavli IPMU, 11-13 November 2013.
- Near Detector Considerations, 3rd Open Meeting for the Hyper-Kamiokande Project, Kashiwa, 20-21 June 2013.
- Computing Strategy for Hyper-Kamiokande, 2nd Open Meeting for the Hyper-Kamiokande Project, Kashiwa, 14-15 January 2013.
- Status and outlook of neutrino oscillation projects, UK Neutrino Network Workshop (UKNN8), IPPP Durham, 19 December 2012.
- Status Report on LBNO, NNN12 Workshop on Next Generation Nucleon Decay and Neutrino Detectors, Fermilab, 4-6 October 2012.
- Latest News on Theta_13, NExT Meeting on Neutrino Physics and Particle Cosmology, University of Sussex, 14 March 2012.
- T2K Use of iRODS, iRODS KEK workshop, Tsukuba, KEK, 7 September 2011.
- T2K Results and Future Plans, NuFact'11 XIIIth Workshop on Neutrino Factories, Superbeams and Beta-beams, CERN and UniGe, 2 August 2011.
- T2K Status, NExT Meeting on Neutrino Physics and Particle Cosmology, University of Southampton, 4 May 2011.
- Neutrino Physics Colloqium, Padova University, 26 January 2017 (planned).
- The Hyper-Kamiokande Experiment, Nikhef, 4 December 2015.
- Chasing-up ghost particles to address the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the Universe, University of Liverpool, 4 November 2015.
- T2K Latest Results and Hyper-Kamiokande Status, University of Birmingham EPP seminars: 2013/14 (2014), 26 February 2014.
- T2K Latest Results and Hyper-Kamiokande Status, University of Edinburgh, 4 February 2014.
- T2K Latest Results and Hyper-Kamiokande Status, Sussex EPP seminars, 28 November 2013.
Organization and Panels:
- Member of the EPS 2017 organizing committee (Neutrino working group).
- Co-chair and founder of the NuPhys series: Prospects in Neutrino Physics, NuPhys2016, London, 12-14 December 2016.
- Convener of the WG1 in the NUFACT series: NUFACT2016 XVIII international workshop on neutrino factories and future neutrino facilities, Qyn Nhon, 21-27 August 2016
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of NEUTRINO2016, London, July 4-9 2016.
- Co-chair and founder of the NuPhys series: Prospects in Neutrino Physics, NuPhys2015, London, 16-18 December 2015.
- Convener of the WG1 in the NUFACT series: NUFACT2015 XVII international workshop on neutrino factories and future neutrino facilities, Rio de Janeiro, 10-15 August 2015.
- Member of the International Advisory committee for Workshop for Neutrino Programs with Facilities in Japan, J-PARC 4-6 August 2015.
- Co-chair and founder of the NuPhys series: Prospects in Neutrino Physics, NuPhys2014, London, 15-17 December 2014.
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of NEUTRINO2014, Boston, June 2-7 2014.
- Member of the Scientific Programme Committee of NuInt2014, Surrey (UK), May 19-24 2014.
- Co-chair and founder of the NuPhys series: Topical Meeting, Prospects in Neutrino Physics, NuPhys2013, London, 19-20 December 2013.
- Organizer of the Hyper-Kamiokande EU Open Meeting, 18 December 2013.
- Organizer of the NExT PhD workshop, QMUL, 17-19 June 2013.
- Panel Discussion: International Coordination, Intensity Frontier Workshop, Argonne, 25-27 April 2013.
- Co-organizer of the First YAE Annual Meeting, Bruxelles, 7-8 December 2012.
- Organiser of the IoP Half Day Meeting: Future Long Baseline Neutrino Experiments, QMUL, 7 November 2012.
- Co-organiser of the iRODS workshop, 6-9 September 2011, KEK, Japan.
- Co-organiser of the NExT PhD Workshop, 18-20 July 2011 Cosener's House, UK.
- Organiser of the IoP Half Day Meeting: Neutrino Oscillation Status, QMUL, 18 April 2011.
- Co-convener of the CP violation, CKM and Rare Decays session, ICHEP 2010, Paris, 21-28 July 2010.
- Organizer of the Shedding light on a mysterious particle session, EuroScience Open Forum, Turin, 2-7 July 2010.
- Interoperability of Digital Repositories, Queen Mary University of London 2-4 December 2009.
- Vxb2007 workshop, Heidelberg 13-16 December 2007.
- Heavy Flavour Physics Forum, Coseners House 21-22 June 2007.