Professor Carl Murray
Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: 020 7882 3304Room Number: G. O. Jones Building, Room 509
I am interested in all aspects of the dynamics of planetary systems, from the orbital evolution of dust particles to the stability of planetary orbits. My research in recent years has been dominated by work on Saturn's rings and their gravitational interaction with the small natural satellites orbiting nearby. In particular I have been fascinated by Saturn's F ring as I work with colleagues to understand its bizarre appearance. I have been a member of the Imaging Science Subsystem Team on the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn and I have worked on the project since I was selected in 1990.
New constraints on Saturn’s interior from Cassini astrometric data
Lainey V, Jacobson RA, Tajeddine R et al.
Icarus, 1st January 2017.
How Janus' orbital swap affects the edge of Saturn's A ring?
El Moutamid M, Nicholson PD, French RG et al.
Icarus, Volume 279, issue Special issue on planetary rings, page 125, 15th November 2016.
Origin of the chaotic motion of the saturnian satellite atlas
Renner S, Cooper NJ, El Moutamid M et al.
The Astronomical Journal, Volume 151, issue 5, 1st May 2016.
Cassini ISS astrometry of the Saturnian satellites: Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Iapetus, and Phoebe 2004-2012
Tajeddine R, Lainey V, Cooper NJ et al.
ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS, Volume 575, 1st March 2015.
SATURN'S INNER SATELLITES: ORBITS, MASSES, AND THE CHAOTIC MOTION OF ATLAS FROM NEW CASSINI IMAGING OBSERVATIONS
Cooper NJ, Renner S, Murray CD et al.
ASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL, Volume 149, issue 1, 1st January 2015.
Scientific rationale for Saturn's in situ exploration
Mousis O, Fletcher LN, Lebreton JP et al.
PLANETARY AND SPACE SCIENCE, Volume 104, page 29, 1st December 2014.
Cassini ISS mutual event astrometry of the mid-sized Saturnian satellites 2005-2012
Cooper NJ, Murray CD, Lainey V et al.
Astronomy and Astrophysics, Volume 572, 1st September 2014.
The discovery and dynamical evolution of an object at the outer edge of Saturn's A ring
Murray CD, Cooper NJ, Williams GA et al.
ICARUS, Volume 236, page 165, 1st July 2014.
A survey of low-velocity collisional features in Saturn's F ring
Attree NO, Murray CD, Williams GA et al.
ICARUS, Volume 227, page 56, 1st January 2014.
Local Variability in the Orbit of Saturn's F Ring
COOPER NJ, Murray, C.D., Williams GA
The Astronomical Journal, Volume 145, issue 6, page 145, 13th May 2013.
Observations of Ejecta Clouds Produced by Impacts onto Saturn's Rings
Tiscareno MS, Mitchell CJ, Murray CD et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 340, issue 6131, page 460, 26th April 2013.
Astrometric reduction of Cassini ISS images of the Saturnian satellites Mimas and Enceladus
Tajeddine R, Cooper NJ, Lainey V et al.
ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS, Volume 551, 1st March 2013.
Local variability in the orbit of Saturn's F ring
Cooper NJ, MURRAY CD, Williams GA
The Astronomical Journal, Volume 145, issue 6, page 161, 1st January 2013.
DETECTION OF LOW-VELOCITY COLLISIONS IN SATURN'S F RING
Attree NO, Murray CD, Cooper NJ et al.
ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL LETTERS, Volume 755, issue 2, 20th August 2012.
Stability of co-orbital ring material with applications to the Janus-Epimetheus system
Williams GA, Murray CD
ICARUS, Volume 212, issue 1, page 275, 1st March 2011.
DIRECT EVIDENCE FOR GRAVITATIONAL INSTABILITY AND MOONLET FORMATION IN SATURN's RINGS
Beurle K, Murray CD, Williams GA et al.
ASTROPHYS J LETT, Volume 718, issue 2, page L176, 1st August 2010.
Aegaeon (Saturn LIII), a G-ring object
Hedman MM, Cooper NJ, Murray CD et al.
ICARUS, Volume 207, issue 1, page 433, 1st May 2010.
An Evolving View of Saturn's Dynamic Rings
Cuzzi JN, Burns JA, Charnoz S et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 327, issue 5972, page 1470, 19th March 2010.
Three tenuous rings/arcs for three tiny moons
Hedman MM, Murray CD, Cooper NJ et al.
ICARUS, Volume 199, issue 2, page 378, 1st February 2009.
The structure of Saturn's rings
Colwell JE, Nicholson PD, Tiscareno MS et al.
page 375, 1st January 2009.
The determination of the structure of Saturn's F ring by nearby moonlets.
Murray CD, Beurle K, Cooper NJ et al.
Nature, Volume 453, issue 7196, page 739, 5th June 2008.
Astrometry and dynamics of Anthe (S/2007 S 4), a new satellite of Saturn
Cooper NJ, Murray CD, Evans MW et al.
ICARUS, Volume 195, issue 2, page 765, 1st June 2008.
OBSERVED CHANNELS IN SATURN'S F RING BY THE CASSINI SPACECRAFT AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP TO PROMETHEUS
Chavez CE, Murray CD, Beurle K et al.
IV REUNION SOBRE ASTRONOMIA DINAMICA EN LATINOAMERICA (ADELA 2008), Volume 34, page 43, 1st January 2008.
Revised orbits of Saturn's small inner satellites
Jacobson RA, Spitale J, Porco CC et al.
ASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL, Volume 135, issue 1, page 261, 1st January 2008.
Saturn's dynamical rings
PHYS TODAY, Volume 60, issue 8, page 74, 1st August 2007.
The D-CIXS X-ray spectrometer on the SMART-1 mission to the moon - First results
Grande M, Kellett BJ, Howe C et al.
PLANET SPACE SCI, Volume 55, issue 4, page 494, 1st March 2007.
100-metre-diameter moonlets in Saturn's A ring from observations of 'propeller' structures
Tiscareno MS, Burns JA, Hedman MM et al.
NATURE, Volume 440, issue 7084, page 648, 30th March 2006.
Cassini observes the active South Pole of Enceladus
Porco CC, Helfenstein P, Thomas PC et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 311, issue 5766, page 1393, 10th March 2006.
Cassini ISS astrometric observations of the inner jovian satellites, Amalthea and Thebe
Cooper NJ, Murray CD, Porco CC et al.
ICARUS, Volume 181, issue 1, page 223, 1st March 2006.
Planetary science. Ringing the changes.
Science, Volume 311, issue 5763, page 961, 17th February 2006.
S/2004 S 5: A new co-orbital companion for Dione
Murray CD, Cooper NJ, Evans MW et al.
ICARUS, Volume 179, issue 1, page 222, 1st December 2005.
How Prometheus creates structure in Saturn's F ring.
Murray CD, Chavez C, Beurle K et al.
Nature, Volume 437, issue 7063, page 1326, 27th October 2005.
Imaging of Titan from the Cassini spacecraft
Porco CC, Baker E, Barbara J et al.
NATURE, Volume 434, issue 7030, page 159, 10th March 2005.
Cassini Imaging Science: Initial results on Phoebe and Iapetus
Porco CC, Baker E, Barbara J et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 307, issue 5713, page 1237, 25th February 2005.
Cassini Imaging Science: Initial results on Saturn's atmosphere
Porco CC, Baker E, Barbara J et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 307, issue 5713, page 1243, 25th February 2005.
Cassini Imaging Science: Initial results on Saturn's rings and small satellites
Porco CC, Baker E, Barbara J et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 307, issue 5713, page 1226, 25th February 2005.
Dynamical influences on the orbits of Prometheus and Pandora
Cooper NJ, Murray CD
ASTRON J, Volume 127, issue 2, page 1204, 1st February 2004.
Cassini Imaging Science: Instrument characteristics and anticipated scientific investigations at Saturn
Porco CC, West RA, Squyres S et al.
SPACE SCI REV, Volume 115, issue 1-4, page 363, 1st January 2004.
A dissipative mapping technique for the N-body problem incorporating radiation pressure, Poynting-Robertson drag, and solar wind drag
Kehoe TJJ, Murray CD, Porco CC
ASTRON J, Volume 126, issue 6, page 3108, 1st December 2003.
Scientific rationale for the D-CIXS X-ray spectrometer on board ESA's SMART-1 mission to the Moon
Dunkin SK, Grande M, Casanova I et al.
PLANET SPACE SCI, Volume 51, issue 6, page 435, 1st May 2003.
The D-CIXS X-ray mapping spectrometer on SMART-1
Grande M, Browning R, Waltham N et al.
PLANET SPACE SCI, Volume 51, issue 6, page 427, 1st May 2003.
Cassini imaging of Jupiter's atmosphere, satellites, and rings
Porco CC, West RA, McEwen A et al.
SCIENCE, Volume 299, issue 5612, page 1541, 7th March 2003.
Symplectic mappings of co-orbital motion in the restricted problem of three bodies
Sandor Z, Erdi B, Murray CD
CELEST MECH DYN ASTR, Volume 84, issue 4, page 355, 1st December 2002.
Origin and evolution of Trojan asteroids
MURRAY CD, Lagerkvist C, Scholl H et al.
1st January 2002.
Saturn's rings: Pre-Cassini status and mission goals
Cuzzi JN, Colwell JE, Esposito LW et al.
SPACE SCI REV, Volume 104, issue 1-2, page 209, 1st January 2002.
The D-CIXS X-ray spectrometer, and its capabilities for lunar science
Grande M, Dunkin S, Heather D et al.
LUNAR EXPLORATION 2000, Volume 30, issue 8, page 1901, 1st January 2002.
Dynamics of the solar system
Volume 577, page 91, 1st January 2001.
Keplerian orbits and dynamics of exoplanets
MURRAY CD, Correia ACM
This is not an exhaustive list and I would be happy to discuss other project possibilities.
Recent talks and seminars
- Talk at Greenford High School, Ealing, 24 March 2015
- Talk at Altrincham Grammar School for Girls, 29 January 2015
- Talk for United Learning/Prince's Teaching Institute, Manchester, 29 January 2015
- Talk for United Learning/Prince's Teaching Institute, London, 21 January 2015
- Talk to the William Herschel Society, Univ. of Bath, 19 November 2014
- Talk at Chobham Academy, Stratford, London, 5 November 2014
- Talk at RAS Discussion Meeting celebrating 10 years of Cassini-Huygens, London, 10 October 2014
- Talk at Pint of Science, London, 20 June 2014
- Talk at JANUS-JUICE meeting, Univ. of Padua, Italy, 10 April 2014
- Talk to Orpington Astronomical Society, 14 March 2014
- Talk to Flamsteed Astronomy Society, Greenwich, 10 March 2014
- Talk to joint RAS/RPS meeting, RAS, London, 17 February 2015
- Talk at Plenary Session, Cassini PSG, JPL, 13 February 2014
- Talk at Rings Working Group, Cassini PSG, JPL, 12 February 2014
- Talk at ISS team Meeting, Caltech, 10 February 2014
- Talk to Hampstead Garden Suburb Astronomical Society, 29 January 2014
- Talk at Reigate School, Surrey, 9 January 2014
- Invited talk at AGU, San Francisco, 10 December 2013
- Invited talk at United learning Trust meeting, London, 4 October 2013
- Talk to Year 10/11 pupils, QMUL, 31 July 2013
- Talk at Goldsmiths Course for Teachers, QMUL, 23 July 2013
- Talk at RAS Discussion Meeting on planetary satellites, RAS, London, 10 May 2013
- Talk to Thurrock Astronomical Society, 3 April 2013
- Talk at Colchester RGS, Colchester, 20 March 2013
- Talk to Wilson's School Maths Circle, Sutton, Surrey, 11 March 2013
- Talk to Birmingham Astronomical Society, 26 February 2013
- Talk to Prince's Teaching Institute, Altrincham Grammar School for Girls, 9 February 2013
- Talk to Prince's Teaching Institute, Institute of Physics, London, 2 February 2013
- Talk at RAS Discussion Meeting, RAS, London, 14 December 2012
- Talk to Stratford upon Avon Astronomical Society, 21 August 2012
- Talk at the NAROO-GAIA satellite astrometry meeting, Paris Observatory, 22 June 2012
- Talk to the Loughton Astronomical Society, 31 May 2012
- Talk at the Division for Dynamical Astronomy of the AAS, Mt. Hood, Oregon, 8 May 2012
- Talk to the Guildford Astronomical Society, 3 May 2012
- Invited talk at the European Geosciences Union, Vienna, 24 April 2012
- Seminar at UC Santa Barbara, 3 February 2012
- Talk to the Orpington Astronomical Society, 25 January 2012
- Talk to the Reading Astronomical Society, 21 January 2012
- Talks at Charlton School, 13 January 2012
- Talk to the Flamsteed Astronomy Society, 14 November 2011
- Seminar at Cardiff University, 5 October 2011
- Talk at the Rings 2011 Workshop, Cornell University, July 2011