A list of diversity initiatives that are embedded in the School:
- EDI Champions: Champion roles for Gender, BAME, LGBT+, international staff and Disability have been established and filled.
- Long-Table Events: Long-table discussion events involving all members of the school (from UG to staff) are organised on a regular basis (1-2 per year)
- Diversity events: The school organises events that celebrate diversity on a regular basis (International Women's day, LGBT history month, black history month)
- Parental-Leave Plus: In addition to the normal maternity/paternity/adoption entitlements, the School is pleased to offer academics on permanent full time Academic and Education (Teaching and Research) contracts the opportunity to apply for ‘Parental Leave Plus’. The Parental Leave Plus initiative will provide a Research Associate, funded by the School, for up to 15 months to continue the academic’s research programme while they are on maternity/paternity/adoption leave for 6 months or longer. As well as continuing the day-to-day research, the Research Associate will help with postgraduate supervision, maintain contact with collaborators, keep abreast of developments in the field and assist the academic in returning to work after the leave. All staff returning to work after a prolonged period of absence will be given lighter teaching and administrative loads.
- Core hours: School meetings are held during core working hours (10am-4pm).
- School Induction Scheme: Information is available on the staff intranet pages.
- Graduate/Postdoc Forum: There exist well-established PhD-student and postdoc forums provide a means for graduate students to discuss issues and voice any concerns.
- UG schemes: We have inclusive schemes within the School such as PASS, a course-based mentoring scheme where first-years are given the opportunity to explore their problems with higher-year students (mentors) in a friendly, informal environment. We monitor gender statistics for attendance at these sessions which provide social support as well as academic.
- Physics Society: The Award winning PsiStar physics society provide an opportunity for all students to interact, gain physics knowledge and interest and experience some of London's great attractions through a series of inclusive events.