These registers record details about the education of medical students who entered St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College from 1906-1934.
Each register contains:
- an index arranged alphabetically by surname and then chronologically by year of entry;
- one page per student recording: name; preliminary examination; date of birth; home address (including the name of the student's father or other relative); date entered; lectures: subject, number attended, session during which attended; demonstrations: subject, number attended, session during which attended; clinical appointments; scholarships and prizes; and examinations passed.
- Some registers also include additions such as copies of references and newspaper cuttings.
To search for a particular student:
- Click on the 'cover and index' pdf for the relevant volume and browse to find the student name and corresponding page number in the index (NB: these pdfs are not text-searchable). The pdf will either open on your screen or automatically download to your desktop.
- Click on the pdf with the relevant page span (eg. 'pp.1-96' refers to pages 1-96) and navigate to the correct page.
As entries cover the entire period of the student's study, entries relating to some students may be continued in a subsequent register.
To view these digitised records, please use the drop down menus below. Please note that, due to the size of some of the PDF files, download times may take up to 30-60 seconds.
NB: An earlier student register covering the years 1857-1864 (reference: SBHMS/S/2/1) has not been digitised. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to enquire about entries from this register. Later registers (for 1935 onwards) have also not been digitised and are restricted under Data Protection legislation. Please email us with any queries relating to students from these years.