The Medical College at The London Hospital, England's first purpose-built medical school, opened in 1785, pioneering a new kind of medical education providing teaching in theory as well as clinical skills.
A purpose-built lecture theatre was constructed at St Bartholomew's Hospital in 1791 and in 1822 the Governors approved the provision of medical education within the hospital. Both colleges at The London and St Bartholomew's became constituent bodies under the University of London in 1900.
The Dental School opened at The London in 1911, acquiring the new Dental Institute and expanding student numbers during the 1960s.
A close association between the two medical colleges was developed following the Royal Commission on Medical Education in 1968, and new links with the then Queen Mary College were established at the same time. In 1989 the pre-clinical teaching at the two medical colleges was merged and sited at the Basic Medical Sciences Building at Queen Mary.
It was not until 1995 when the two colleges formally merged under Queen Mary University of London.
I am Human retells the story of the London Hospital's most famous resident, Joseph Merrick, the so-called Elephant Man, through the eyes of Merrick himself. Based on sources held in the hospital's archives, this audio guide bring 1880s Whitechapel to life through the voices of Merrick, the hospital's celebrity surgeon Frederick Treves, its resourceful young matron Eva Luckes and a medical student training at the College.
The audio guide and walking leaflet were produced as a collaborative project between Dr Nadia Valman, historian of east London at QMUL, Richard Meunier, Medical School Archivist at QMUL and audio producer Natalie Steed.
Following a cataloguing project in 2017, funded by The Medical College of St Bartholomew’s Hospital Trust, this enlarged institutional collection now comprises around 1700 records. The archive contains material on governance, policy and planning, teaching, staffing, finance and premises as well as student records, college publications, photographs and illustrations. A recent notable addition covers student clubs, societies and recreation.
Researchers can trace the College’s history from its early 19th century origins up to the 1995 merger with The London Hospital medical and dental schools. The archive can be consulted by appointment at St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives, West Smithfield
You can search the collection using the online catalogue