Your QM Education
you prepare for a degree in Human Geography at a Russell Group university
- you become a valued member of the Geography community at QMUL, with invitations to Geography events, and weekly lectures and seminars delivered by QMUL Geography academics Jill Fenton and Olly Zanneti
you learn from your lecturers and your reading but also from the world around you; in your Human Geography of London module, the glorious capital city becomes your classroom; each semester you will participte in two vibrant field walks, with your lecturers guiding through you module content while you experience London itself
you receive personal attention and support to achieve your full potential; external examiners consistently highlight the excellent standards in teaching and support
Compulsory : English Language and Study Skills, Introduction to Human Geography
Optional: choose TWO from: Twentieth Century History I : 1900-1945, Introduction to Business and Management, Introduction to Film Studies, , Introduction to English Literature, Introduction to Politics, Microeconomics*, Pure Mathematics for Economics, French Language and Culture, Spanish Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture
Compulsory : Independent Study Project, The Human Geography of London
Optional : choose ONE from:Twentieth Century History II : 1945 - 1990, Management, European and American Art Cinema, Introduction to American Literature, Introduction to International Relations, Macroeconomics*, Statistics for Economics, French Language and Culture, Spanish Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture
Revision week and exam period.
For further details on module content, click here.
Your QM Experience
- as an IFP student at Queen Mary, you will be a full member of both QMUL and the University of London
- you are guaranteed accommodation on our Mile End campus**; live within the heart of our friendly and vibrant campus
- you will experience a truly diverse international programme on a truly diverse international campus, surrounded by all the wonderful opportunities that London has to offer
- QMUL PROGRESSION: if you achieve an average grade of 55 in your second semester modules with 60 in The Human Geography of London, you can progress to the prestigious School of Geography at QMUL - click here for more details of the BA Geography and BA Human Geography
- teaching in the School of Geography is informed by a unique combination of research specialism; QMUL Geography is committed to research-led teaching and employ a diverse range of teaching methods.
- QMUL Geography students take their learning out into the real world in destinations as diverse as the USA, New Zealand, India, Malaysia, Canada, Croatia or South Africa, as well as closer to home in London and the UK.
- universities throughout the UK welcome applications from students on the IFP for Geography and excellent support is provided for any applications to other institutions; in recent years our students have gone on to study Geography and related subjects at King’s College London, SOAS, and Royal Holloway University of London.
How to apply
To apply, you need to fill in the online application form and upload:
- your High School Certificate
- your transcript (record of subjects and marks or grades)
- contact details for a teacher who will write a reference for you
- results of any English language exam you have taken (e.g. UKVI IELTS)
If you are still waiting for any of these documents, you are more than welcome to send your application now and email us missing documents later.
Please note, the minimum age for enrolment on the IFP at QMUL is 17. If you will be younger than 17 on the 1st of September, 2017, you will need to apply for our September 2018 programme instead.
If you will be under 18 at the start of the IFP, your parents or agents should read the guidance available here: Advice for Students Under 18 [PDF 52KB].