Your QM Education
you prepare for a degree within Humanities and Social Sciences at a Russell Group university
you attend seminars and lectures given by our brilliant teaching team, all highly qualified and experienced members of QMUL staff
you receive personal attention and support to achieve your full potential; external examiners consistently highlight the excellent standards in teaching and support
Compulsory : English Language and Study Skills
Optional: choose THREE from: Introduction to Business and Management, Introduction to Politics, Introduction to Film Studies, Introduction to Human Geography I, Liberal Arts I : the Making of the Modern World, Introduction to English Literature, Twentieth Century History I : 1900-1945, Microeconomics*, Pure Mathematics for Economics, French Language and Culture, Spanish Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture
Compulsory : Independent Study Project
Optional : choose THREE from: Management, European and American Art Cinema, The Human Geography of London, Liberal Arts II : the Making of Modern Britain, Introduction to American Literature, Twentieth Century History II : 1945 - 1990, Introduction to International Relations, Macroeconomics*, Statistics for Economics, French Language and Culture, Spanish Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture
Revision week and exam period.
- Choose the IFP in Humanities and Social Sciences if you are not sure which degree you would like to progress to, or if you are interested in progressing to degrees in Modern Languages or Literature - including Comparative Literature
- QMUL PROGRESSION: if you achieve the required grades, you can progress to a wide range of linked degree programmes within the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as in Global Health, and Mathematics - click here for more details
- For a full list of QMUL degrees linked to the IFP in Humanities and Social Sciences, please click here.
- universities throughout the UK welcome applications from students on Queen Mary's IFP in Humanities and Social Sciences
Your QM Experience
- as an IFP student at Queen Mary, you will be a full member of both QMUL and the University of London
- you are guaranteed accommodation on our Mile End campus**; live within the heart of our friendly and vibrant campus
- you will experience a truly diverse international programme on a truly diverse international campus, surrounded by all the wonderful opportunities that London has to offer
The IFP student body is truly international. I have never before been in a class with students from such a wide range of countries and backgrounds before. Everyone has a lot of knowledge and information to share, and we do not learn from the teachers alone but from our fellow students as well. Everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming, making the process of settling in very easy and relaxed.
The style of teaching is the same as what is done at undergraduate level. We attend a lecture and a seminar for each module every week just as undergraduate students do. I feel has played a crucial role in helping me prepare for next year. I will already be acquainted with the way in which material is delivered and unlike students who have not undergone the IFP, I will not have to face the problem of adapting to the style of teaching at university.
I have seen, over the course of my time on the IFP, that there are students with a very broad range of academic abilities on the programme. It caters to students of all levels of academic skill and ability. Skills which need to be worked on are paid special attention to and developed over the course of the programme. One thing I would say is that the IFP is not too easy or too difficult. Whether your academic skills are highly advanced or rudimentary, you will find the course intellectually demanding. When I look back to myself at the start of the IFP, it is very clear that I my abilities and knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds.
I can say with great conviction that having done the IFP has put me at a very significant advantage for my undergraduate studies. It has also been a phenomenal experience. I am happy I chose to be part of it and would recommend it to everyone.