Mathias Thoenig is a Professorial Fellow in the school of Economics and Finance at Queen Mary University of London. He is also a Research Fellow in the CEPR international trade and macro programs, a Professor of Economics at University of Lausanne and an elected Council Member of the European Economic Association. He has held visiting appointments at International Monetary Fund, MIT, SciencesPo Paris, University of British Columbia and University Pompeu Fabra.
His research interests are at the intersection of political economy, development and international economics. He has worked extensively on the links between conflicts and trade. His current research agenda focuses on the causes of democratization, violence-induced migration, pacification policies and post-conflict reconciliation.
- Algan Y C., Malgouyres C., Mayer T., Thoenig M. "The Economic Incentives of Cultural Transmission: Spatial Evidence from Naming Patterns across France", Conditionally Accepted Economic Journal (2020)
- Couttenier M., Preotu V., Rohner D., Thoenig M. (2017) "The violent Legacy of Victimization: Post-Conflict Evidence on Asylum Seekers, Crimes and Public Policy in Switzerland", American Economic Review.
- Bas M., Mayer T., Thoenig M. (2017) "From micro to macro: Demand and supply-side determinants of the trade elasticity", Journal of International Economics, 108, 1-19.
- Koenig M., Rohner D., Thoenig M., Zilibotti F. (2017) "Networks in Conflict Theory and Evidence from the Great War of Africa", Econometrica, 85, 1093-1132.
- Berman N., Couttenier M., Rohner D., Thoenig M. (2017) "This Mine is mine! How Minerals Fuel Conflicts in Africa", American Economic Review, 107, 1564-1610.
- Cacault M. P., Goette L., Lalive R., Thoenig M. (2015) "Do We Harm Others Even if We Don’t Need To?", Frontiers in Psychology, section Evolutionary Psychology and Neuroscience, 6(729).
- Head K., Mayer T., Thoenig M. (2014) "Welfare and Trade without Pareto", American Economic Review, 104(5), 310-316.
- Maystre A., Olivier J., Thoenig M., Verdier T. (2014) "Product-based cultural change: is the village global?", Journal of International Economics, 92(2), 212-230.
- Rohner D., Thoenig M., Zilibotti F. (2013) "War Signals: A Theory of Trade, Trust and Conflict", Review of Economic Studies, 80(3), 1114-1147.
- Rohner D., Thoenig M., Zilibotti F. (2013) "Seeds of distrust: conflict in Uganda", Journal of Economic Growth, 18(3), 217-252.
- Martin P., Mayer T., Thoenig M. (2012) "The Geography of Conflicts and Regional Trade Agreements", American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 4(4), 1-35.
- Thesmar D., Thoenig M. (2011) "Contrasting Trends in Firm Volatility", American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 3(4), 143-180.
- Thoenig M., Verdier T. (2010) "A macroeconomic perspective on knowledge management", Journal of Economic Growth, 15(1), 33-63.