Undergraduate Study at Queen Mary
The Department of English attracts exceptional students from all backgrounds to participate in its excellent degree programmes, in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world.
Our English Department is one of the country’s leading centres for literary study. The research and teaching interests of our staff span a wide range of periods from medieval to contemporary, and the Department has an international reputation for interdisciplinary work. It is also one of the best English Departments in the country for original research.
The Department of English offers:
- Dedicated teaching of the highest quality from leading international scholars.
- A great environment for study and creativity.
- Innovative single and joint honours degree programmes
- Opportunities to study abroad in your second year
- Top-quality research. The Department was ranked fifth out of all English Departments nationally for the quality of its research in the most recent Research Excellence Framework
Students at Queen Mary also benefit from all the cultural, social, and political resources of one of the world’s greatest capital cities on their doorstep. Our students regularly make trips to Shakespeare’s Globe, the V&A, the Museum of London, the British Library and British Museum, the Tate, the National Gallery, and other cultural institutions as part of their studies. You will be able to hear lectures by world-leading academics, watch live performances of plays you are studying, and explore historical sites where the books you read take place.