Science & Engineering Widening Participation Scholarships (UG)
About the award
Course: Undergraduate degrees taught within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (please see exceptions below)
Country: EU, Home
No. of awards: 5
Deadline: 1st May 2020
The Science & Engineering Widening Participation Scholarship is designed to support students coming from a diverse range of backgrounds in accessing a high quality education, including many coming from areas that have a low participation in higher education or from backgrounds lacking social or financial privilege. It aims to offer continued support to students who engaged in Queen Mary outreach activities before applying to university.
The Scholarship is a one-off award in the first year of the undergraduate programme. The Scholarship is worth £3,000, and will be paid directly into the student’s bank account.
How do I apply?
Applications for the Science & Engineering Widening Participation Scholarship are now open and can be found here. Students will be considered for an award on the basis of the information they provide in their online application form. Successful candidates will be informed of their award via email notification from the Science and Engineering Faculty Office.
Requests for supporting evidence may be made to enhance your application. If further documentation is required you will be contacted via email between the 11th and 15th May. You will be given a deadline to provide the documentation. If this is not provided by the deadline your application will be withdrawn.
Scholarship applicants will be notified of the outcome of the application by 30th June.
- Students must be eligible to pay Home tuition fees as assessed by Student Finance England or equivalent funding body;
- Students must be paying full tuition fees (i.e. not in receipt of another scholarship);
- Students must be enrolling in year 1 (i.e. transfers into year 2 or advanced entry are not eligible);
- This is a one-off payment in your first year. You must be able to finance the remainder of your tuition fees and living expenses;
- Students must select Queen Mary as Firm Choice on UCAS;
- Students must be a first time entrant to Queen Mary;
- Students must have engaged with at least one Queen Mary outreach activity;
- Students must complete an application form (accessible on this page once applications open).
In addition, students must meet 2 of the following criteria:
- Reside in a POLAR4 Quintile 1 postcode or reside in an area with high deprivation (defined as IMD Quintile 1 or 2);
- Parents/guardians have not attended university;
- Previously have been or are currently eligible for free school meals;
- Have a disability, if applicable you must register with QMUL Disability and Dyslexia Service by the point of enrolment.
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care.
Some course are partly taught in the Faculty of Science and Engineering and partly taught in other Schools. The following jointly-taught courses are not eligible for the Science & Engineering Excellence Award:
- BSc(Eng) Telecommunications Engineering with Management -BUPT
- BSc(Eng) e-Commerce Engineering with Law -BUPT
- BSc(Eng) Internet of Things Engineering -BUPT
- BSc Computer Science with Management (ITMB)
- BSc Biomedical Sciences (with Nanchang)
- BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting
- BSc Maths, Stats and Financial Economics
- BSc Mathematics with Management
- BEng Mechanical Engineering with Management
- BEng Aerospace Engineering with Management
- BEng Biomedical Engineering with Management
- BSc Neuroscience
- BSc Pharmacology and Innovative Therapeutics
- BSc Biomedical Sciences