Reaction: geranyl diphosphate = ()-bornyl diphosphate
For diagram of reaction click here.
Glossary: ()-bornyl diphosphate = (2R,4S)-1,7,7-trimethylbicyclo[2.2.1]hept-2-yl diphosphate
Other name(s): bornyl pyrophosphate synthase (ambiguous); bornyl pyrophosphate synthetase (ambiguous); (–)-bornyl pyrophosphate cyclase; bornyl diphosphate synthase; geranyl-diphosphate cyclase (ambiguous); (–)-bornyl-diphosphate lyase (decyclizing)
Systematic name: (–)-bornyl-diphosphate lyase (ring-opening)
Comments: Requires Mg2+. The enzyme from Tanacetum vulgare (tansey) can also use (3S)-linalyl diphosphate or more slowly neryl diphosphate in vitro. The reaction proceeds via isomeration of geranyl diphosphate to (3S)-linalyl diphosphate . The oxygen and phosphorus originally linked to C-1 of geranyl diphosphate end up linked to C-2 of ()-bornyl diphosphate . cf. EC 126.96.36.199 (+)-bornyl diphosphate synthase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, CAS registry number:
1. Croteau, R., Gershenzon, J., Wheeler, C.J. and Satterwhite, D.M. Biosynthesis of monoterpenes: stereochemistry of the coupled isomerization and cyclization of geranyl pyrophosphate to camphane and isocamphane monoterpenes. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 277 (1990) 374-381. [PMID: 2178556]
2. Croteau, R. and Shaskus, J. Biosynthesis of monoterpenes: demonstration of a geranyl pyrophosphate:()-bornyl pyrophosphate cyclase in soluble enzyme preparations from tansy (Tanacetum vulgare). Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 236 (1985) 535-543. [PMID: 3970524]
3. Croteau, R., Felton, N.M. and Wheeler, C.J. Stereochemistry at C-1 of geranyl pyrophosphate and neryl pyrophosphate in the cyclization to (+)- and ()-bornyl pyrophosphate. J. Biol. Chem. 260 (1985) 5956-5962. [PMID: 3997807]
4. Croteau, R.B., Shaskus, J.J., Renstrom, B., Felton, N.M., Cane, D.E., Saito, A. and Chang, C. Mechanism of the pyrophosphate migration in the enzymatic cyclization of geranyl and linalyl pyrophosphates to (+)- and ()-bornyl pyrophosphates. Biochemistry 24 (1985) 7077-7085. [PMID: 4084562]
5. Adam, K.P. and Croteau, R. Monoterpene biosynthesis in the liverwort Conocephalum conicum: demonstration of sabinene synthase and bornyl diphosphate synthase. Phytochemistry 49 (1998) 475-480. [PMID: 9747540]