Reaction: (1) O-phospho-L-serine + 2-oxoglutarate = 3-phosphooxypyruvate + L-glutamate
(2) 4-phosphooxy-L-threonine + 2-oxoglutarate = (3R)-3-hydroxy-2-oxo-4-phosphooxybutanoate + L-glutamate
For diagram, click here or here or here for mechanism click here.
Other name(s): PSAT; phosphoserine aminotransferase; 3-phosphoserine aminotransferase; hydroxypyruvic phosphate-glutamic transaminase; L-phosphoserine aminotransferase; phosphohydroxypyruvate transaminase; phosphohydroxypyruvic-glutamic transaminase; phosphoserine aminotransferase; 3-O-phospho-L-serine:2-oxoglutarate aminotransferase; SerC; PdxC; 3PHP transaminase
Systematic name: O-phospho-L-serine:2-oxoglutarate aminotransferase
Comments: A pyridoxal 5'-phosphate protein. This enzyme catalyses the second step in the phosphorylated pathway of serine biosynthesis [1,3] and the third step in pyridoxal 5'-phosphate biosynthesis in the bacterium Escherichia coli . Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate is the cofactor for both activities and therefore seems to be involved in its own biosynthesis . Non-phosphorylated forms of serine and threonine are not substrates . The archaeal enzyme has a relaxed specificity and can act on L-cysteate and L-alanine as alternative substrates to O-phospho-L-serine .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9030-90-4
1. Pizer, L.I. The pathway and control of serine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 238 (1963) 3934-3944. [PMID: 14086727]
2. Hirsch, H. and Greenberg, D.M. Studies on phosphoserine aminotransferase of sheep brain. J. Biol. Chem. 242 (1967) 2283-2287. [PMID: 6022873]
3. Zhao, G. and Winkler, M.E. A novel α-ketoglutarate reductase activity of the serA-encoded 3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli K-12 and its possible implications for human 2-hydroxyglutaric aciduria. J. Bacteriol. 178 (1996) 232-239. [PMID: 8550422]
4. Drewke, C., Klein, M., Clade, D., Arenz, A., Müller, R. and Leistner, E. 4-O-phosphoryl-L-threonine, a substrate of the pdxC(serC) gene product involved in vitamin B6 biosynthesis. FEBS Lett. 390 (1996) 179-182. [PMID: 8706854]
5. Zhao, G. and Winkler, M.E. 4-Phospho-hydroxy-L-threonine is an obligatory intermediate in pyridoxal 5'-phosphate coenzyme biosynthesis in Escherichia coli K-12. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 135 (1996) 275-280. [PMID: 8595869]
6. Baek, J.Y., Jun, D.Y., Taub, D. and Kim, Y.H. Characterization of human phosphoserine aminotransferase involved in the phosphorylated pathway of L-serine biosynthesis. Biochem. J. 373 (2003) 191-200. [PMID: 12633500]
7. Helgadottir, S., Rosas-Sandoval, G., Soll, D. and Graham, D.E. Biosynthesis of phosphoserine in the Methanococcales. J. Bacteriol. 189 (2007) 575-582. [PMID: 17071763]