Reaction: trichloroethene + chloride + acceptor = tetrachloroethene + reduced acceptor
Glossary: methyl viologen = 1,1'-dimethyl-4,4'-bipyridin-1,1'-diium
Other name(s): tetrachloroethene reductase
Systematic name: acceptor:trichloroethene oxidoreductase (chlorinating)
Comments: This enzyme allows the common pollutant tetrachloroethene to support bacterial growth and is responsible for disposal of a number of chlorinated hydrocarbons. The reaction occurs in the reverse direction. The enzyme also reduces trichloroethene to dichloroethene. Although the physiological reductant is unknown, the supply of reductant in some organisms involves menaquinol, which is reduced by molecular hydrogen via the action of EC 126.96.36.199, hydrogen:quinone oxidoreductase. The enzyme contains a corrinoid and two iron-sulfur clusters. Methyl viologen can act as electron donor in vitro.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, CAS registry number:
1. Holliger, C, Wohlfarth, G. and Diekert, G. Reductive dechlorination in the energy metabolism of anaerobic bacteria. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 22 (1998) 383-398.
2. Glod, G., Angst, W., Holliger, C. and Schwarzenbach, R.P. Corrinoid-mediated reduction of tetrachloroethene, trichloroethene, and trichlorofluoroethene in homogeneous aqueous solution: Reaction kinetics and reaction mechanisms. Environ. Sci. Technol. 31 (1997) 253-260.
3. Neumann, A., Wohlfarth, G. and Diekert, G. Purification and characterization of tetrachloroethene reductive dehalogenase from Dehalospirillum multivorans.J. Biol. Chem. 271 (1996) 16515-16519. [PMID: 8663199]
4. Schumacher, W., Holliger, C., Zehnder, A.J.B. and Hagen, W.R. Redox chemistry of cobalamin and iron-sulfur cofactors in the tetrachloroethene reductase of Dehalobacter restrictus. FEBS Lett. 409 (1997) 421-425. [PMID: 9224702]
5. Schumacher, W. and Holliger, C. The proton/electron ratio of the menaquinone-dependent electron transport from dihydrogen to tetrachloroethene in "Dehalobacter restrictus". J. Bacteriol. 178 (1996) 2328-2333. [PMID: 8636034]