Skip to main content
Residential Services and Support


1. When can I collect my keys and move in?

Anytime on, or after, the commencement date of your licence.

2. How do I pay my residential fees?

Information can be found on our Residential Fee Payments page.

3. If I pay all my residential fees in advance, am I entitled to a reduction?

No. That discount is only applicable to your tuition fees.

4. If I move into Halls and don't like my room can I change it?

Room transfers will only be facilitated if supported by Residential Support, or due to extenuating circumstances (i.e urgent maintenance works). This is subject to availability and the payment of a £30 transfer fee.

5. If I want to move out of Halls completely, can I leave without any obligation?

Please refer to our Licence Agreement page, which will inform you of your contractual obligations.

6. Is bed linen supplied?

No, however you can purchase these items from QMUL online shop. If you decide to bring your own bed linen, the approximate bed size is 90cm x 190cm (3'0" x 6'3").

7. Can I smoke in my room?

All Queen Mary College campuses are non-smoking. Residents and their guests are not permitted to smoke in any part of the halls or campus.

8. Does my room get cleaned?

No, this is your own responsibilty - due to COVID-19 for 2020-21 new bathroom and kitchen cleaning guidelines are in place.
The Residential Cleaning team operate services Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.
At Aspire Point: Kitchens will be checked and graded weekly, using a traffic light system according to the planned schedule and agreed standards which are displayed in each kitchen.

9. Will my room have Internet connection?

Yes, there is Wi-Fi in all halls of residence, to find out how to set up your connection please see the IT Services website.

During September a temporary Wifi service is provided, information on how to access this, is available below:

Wifi Info for Halls September 2020 [PDF 520KB]

10. Are there any parking facilities for residents on-campus?

No, there are no parking facilities available to students living in the Queen Mary Mile End or Whitechapel campus residences. However, as a resident of Tower Hamlets you can apply for a local authority parking permit to park in the streets nearby. At Charterhouse Square campus there is no parking available in the grounds. There are a limited number of pay and display meters in the surrounding streets only.

11. Is there a curfew?

No. You are free to come and go as you please.

12. Can my guests stay with me in halls?

Update 15th October 2020

We have introduced a no guest policy - guests are not permitted in any flat / household under any circumstances and this includes residents from other flats / households.

This policy will be regularly reviewed and updated to reflect guidance provided by The UK Government and Public Health England.

Residents who breach this policy may face disciplinary action.

13. Is there a phone in my room?


14. Are pets allowed in Halls of Residence?

Under no circumstances are pets to be kept in bedrooms or any other part of the residence. Guide dogs and hearing dogs are permitted by prior agreement. Only assistance animals that are trained by a body registered with Assistance Dogs (UK).

15. Can I stay in halls over the Christmas and Easter vacations?

Yes, your licence agreement includes the Christmas and Easter vacations.

16. Can I stay in halls over the summer vacation?

Residents requiring accommodation during the summer vacation period will be required to complete an application via Housing Services. Students, who have lived in halls during the academic year and whose courses run on until September, will be contacted directly by Housing Services in March. Priority for summer accommodation goes to applicants who require it for academic purposes. Places will be allocated subject to availability, and a satisfactory payment and disciplinary record. There are no guarantees regarding the style or location of accommodation. Current residents may be required to move residences due to planned refurbishment / change in use of residences.

17. When will I get my deposit back?

You are required to pay a deposit as an integral part of the acceptance process to book your room in halls. The deposit is non-refundable, the payment is reserved and credited against your final instalment of residential fees (minus any deductions or charges). All or part of the deposit may be retained by QMUL as a contribution towards any loss or costs suffered by QMUL, as a result of a cancellation made outside of the licence cancellation period.

All loss/damage charges will be charged via your residential account and an invoice will be sent to inform you of this charge by email, where you will be required to pay this amount immediately. A list of standard charges can be found in the Residents' Handbook.

18. Can I re-apply for Halls next year?

Returning students no longer have any priority, unless they have extenuating circumstances (supported by the University's Disability and Dyslexia Service or the Estates and Facilities Review Panel). Priority goes to new applicants coming to study at QMUL for the first time. However, you will be able to submit an application where you will be placed on a wait list for vacancies that may occur mid-term.

19. Where can I get help to find accommodation outside College?

Housing Services can provide comprehensive guidance to assist you in your search with looking for Alternative Accommodation.

20. If I have a problem outside of Office hours what do I do?

Please contact Residences Reception in France House by phone to +44 (0)20 7882 6470 or by email to: This is open 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

The Student Accommodation Code Logo