The Centre for Public Engagement runs a range of internal training sessions that cover the basics of public engagement along with more specific topics. If you are new to public engagement, or looking to start with the basics, we recommend first attending our Public Engagement Masterclass. If you already have some experience of public engagement, or would like to focus on a particular area, we recommend you look at our in-depth training courses covering a range of subjects.
Public Engagement Masterclass
Through presentations, activities and discussion these sessions provide a practical introduction to the topics and explore how they can be applied to potential public engagement projects, equipping participants with the tools and best practice to engage effectively and evidence results. These can be booked through the CPD website.
- Friday 23 November, 10am-1pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road - Please note this is aimed at Science and Engineering Faculty members
- Friday 25 January, 10am-1pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Thursday 14 March, 10am-1pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road - Please note this is aimed at Humanities and Social Sciences members only
- Thursday 11 July, 10am-1pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road - Please note this is aimed at School of Medicine and Dentistry members only
In-depth training courses
If you already have some experience of public engagement, or would like to focus on a particular area, we recommend you look at our in-depth training courses covering a range of subjects.
- Hands on engagement: taking research to events and festivals Wednesday 24 October, 10am-1pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Introduction to engaging with policymakers Friday 14 December, 2pm-4pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Introduction to community engagement Thursday 28 February, 10am -12noon, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Introduction to engaging with schools and families Tuesday 16 April, 1.30pm-3.30pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Introduction to evaluation and impact Wednesday 5 June, 1.30pm-3.30pm, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
- Introduction to Public and Patient Involvement Friday 9 August, 10am -12noon, Scape 0.15, Mile End Road
If you are already conducting activities and looking for further or bespoke guidance you can visit a CPE advice surgery or contact the team to ask about our Engaging... Topics series, which bring together practitioners around specific areas of public engagement, such as patient and public advisory groups, artistic collaboration and festivals.
Courses are primarily aimed at postgraduate and PhD students, as well as staff looking for an introduction to public engagement methods.
Bespoke sessions for schools and faculties
The CPE is also able to provide bespoke courses for individual Schools and Institutes and have worked with colleagues to develop several bespoke training sessions and integrate public engagement into existing schemes – get in touch with us for more details.
I found the training very enjoyable and stimulating - it helped me to think much more widely about the different forms public engagement can take, the mood of the audience in different settings and the kind of dialogue I might have about my research.
Cultural Geography PhD researcher, Hands-on research training session
I found the session very helpful ... it was a really good delivery of; this is everything you need, in a clear and concise manner. It was spot on.
Computer science post-doctoral researcher, Impact and evaluation training session