Welcome to QMUL's latest International offer-holder newsletter.

This edition focuses on immigration permission for non-EU/EEA nationals, so please do take the time to read the important information below, which has been provided by our Advice and Counselling team. 

This newsletter has been sent to all offer-holding International students, irrespective of whether you have already requested or received your CAS number; or indeed whether you need UK immigration at all. You can of course ignore this newsletter if you already have your relevant immigration permission in hand. 

Applying for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

If you need to apply for UK immigration permission and you are coming to the UK to study for more than six months, you will normally need to apply for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission. This newsletter provides some important information about how to apply for your visa. If you are not sure if you need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa, please see the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service advice guide ‘What immigration permission do I need to study at Queen Mary’.

Guidance to help you make a successful Tier 4 application

The QMUL Advice and Counselling Service has produced Tier 4 guidance (a written advice guide and videos) to help you to avoid common mistakes that students make in their applications. This guidance contains lots more information about the other documents you will need to submit with your visa application and how to apply for your visa.

Attend a Guidance Webinar

Our helpful Advice and Counselling team are running weekly guidance webinars from 6th July to 31st August, which will cover all aspects of the Tier 4 application process. 

You are invited to register your attendance on one of the Webinars here

Even if you have applied for Tier 4 before, please make use of these resources, as it is easy to make mistakes. If you do not use these resources, your Tier 4 application may be refused, and you may not be able to take up your place at QMUL.

Top Tips

  • Prepare your supporting documents

  • All documents must be originals with an official translation if not in English

  • Check visa processing times in your country:

  • Use our guidance to help prepare your visa application and complete the form

  • Apply for your visa as early as possible

 Financial evidence

It is very important that you check that your financial evidence meets the requirements of the UK immigration rules. The most common reason why Tier 4 immigration applications are refused is because students have not provided the correct financial evidence. Even if you have the correct money, your application can be refused because you have not provided the exact documents required.

You will normally need to show that you have the money to pay your tuition fees for the first year of your programme (as listed on your CAS statement) plus £11,385 for your living expenses. The funds for your outstanding tuition fees and living expenses must be shown for at least 28 days before you apply for your visa. Most students provide a bank statement to show the money. You can show the funds in your own personal bank account or your parent’s personal bank account. If you are using your parent’s bank account, you will need to provide additional evidence.

Your bank statement must have all the features shown in this diagram:

There are other ways of showing funds, and in some cases you may be able to show a smaller amount. This is explained in the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service's Tier 4 advice guide. You will need to show additional funds if you are intending to bring your dependants (spouse or children under 18) with you.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have a list of financial institutions from which they accept bank statements in certain countries. You can check that your bank is on the list of acceptable banks on UKVI’s website.

 Biometric Residence Permits

If you are granted immigration permission to stay in the UK for more than six months, you will be issued with a short-term Entry Clearance Sticker, which will be valid for 30 days. You will also be given a letter which shows the conditions and length of your immigration permission. You must travel to the UK before your 30 day visa expires. After entering the UK you will be required to collect an identity card called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the Post Office within 10 days of arriving.

 Immigration Health Surcharge

If you are applying to come to the UK for more than six months, or applying for immigration permission in the UK, you will be charged a fee to pay for any medical care you may need while in the UK.

You will pay this Immigration Health Surcharge when you make your immigration application.

More details about the charge are available in the advice guide: Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission.

 'Low risk' Nationals

You will be considered a 'low risk' national if:

  • you hold a passport issued by Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates or the United States of America and you are applying in your country of nationality or the UK; or

  • you hold a Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passport and you are applying in Hong Kong (select "HONG KONG" as your nationality); or

  • you hold a Taiwan passport (which includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan (select "TAIWAN" as your nationality).

If you are a 'low risk' national, you are not required to submit evidence of your finances or your qualifications when you make your immigration application, but you must have this evidence available to you. The Entry Clearance Officer may contact you later for these documents and you may need to show them to a Border Force Officer when you travel to the UK.

For more information about applying as a low risk national see the Advice and Counselling Service student advice guide: Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission.

 Find out more


Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions about any of the information in this, or our previous newsletters.

Best wishes,

The International Team
Queen Mary University of London
  +44 (0)20 7882 5555


Queen Mary University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS

Queen Mary University of London complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and subsequent regulations including the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations. You will retain the right to opt-out of future correspondence at any point.

The information provided in this email is accurate at the time of being sent but is subject to change over time. For this reason, it is important that you check our website for the most up-to-date information or read our terms and conditions in full at:

Company registration number: RC000710