Immigration permission for non-EU/EEA nationals

Welcome to the latest newsletter for our incoming International students. This edition focuses on immigration permission for non-EU/EEA nationals so please do take the time to read the important information below.

The International Team recommends that you check this webpage to determine which immigration permission you require to enrol at QMUL.

 Tier 4 Visa
If you require a Tier 4 Visa, and your offer is both unconditional and you have firmly accepted it, you can request a CAS by clicking ‘CAS Details’ within the 'Admissions Home' section of your web portal.

If your course requires you to pay a deposit then you will not be issued with a CAS until your deposit is paid. You can check whether a deposit for your course is necessary on our tuition fee pages. Students who are receiving a scholarship to study at Queen Mary through an external funding body or the university itself, do not need to pay a deposit but should provide a letter confirming this.

If you would like further information you can read our online guidance here, or refer to the 'CAS and Immigration Information' section in the 'Admissions Home' section of the MySIS web portal. It is important that you read the instructions carefully.

During the CAS request process, you will receive an email asking you to verify the information included in your CAS. You do this by logging into your MySIS web portal. You must check the CAS statement carefully to ensure that all of the details are correct and that none of the required information is missing. If anything is incorrect or missing, you will be able to correct this before your final CAS is issued. You will also be provided with the contact details for the CAS team within our Admissions Office.
 UK immigration
This year, there are many important changes to the way students apply for UK immigration permission. If you need to apply for UK immigration permission and you are coming to the UK to study for more than six months, you will normally need to apply for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission.

If you are not sure if you need to apply for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission, please see the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service guide.
 Financial evidence
It is very important that you check that your financial evidence meets the requirements of the UK immigration rules. The most common reason why Tier 4 immigration applications are refused is because students have not provided the correct financial evidence. Even if you have the correct money, your application may be refused if you have not provided the required documents.

Warning: If your Tier 4 application is refused because you have failed to follow the guidance we have provided to help you make a successful Tier 4 application (see below), QMUL may decide to not provide you with a new CAS for a second application.

You will normally need to show that you have the money to pay your tuition fees for the first year of your programme (as listed on your CAS statement) and £11,385 for living expenses. Most students show a bank statement to show that this money is available:

Your bank statement must have all the features listed in the diagram.

There are other ways of showing funds and in some cases you may be able to show a smaller amount. This is explained in the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service's Tier 4 Guidance (written and video guidance).

If you are applying and your funds are held in a bank in India, Pakistan, Iran, Philippines or Bangladesh, you must check that your bank or financial institution is listed as an acceptable financial institution on the UK Government website.  

 Making a successful Tier 4 application
The QMUL Advice and Counselling Service has produced written Tier 4 guidance and a series of videos, to help you to avoid common mistakes that students make in their applications. Even if you have applied for Tier 4 before, use these resources carefully as it is easy to make mistakes. If you do not use these resources, and your Tier 4 application is refused, you may not be able to take up your place at Queen Mary.
 Biometric Residence Permits

If you are granted immigration permission to stay in the the UK for more than six months, you will be issued with a short-term Entry Clearance Sticker, which will be valid for 30 days. You will also be given a letter which shows the conditions and length of your immigration permission. The sticker will be valid for 30 days and you must travel to the UK before this expires. After entering the UK you will be required to collect an identity card called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days.
 Immigration health surcharge
If you are applying to come to the UK for more than six months, or applying for immigration permission in the UK, you will be charged a fee to pay for any hospital care they may need while in the UK (there are some exceptions for students who are receiving certain types of scholarships). You will pay this health charge when you make your immigration application.

More details about the charge are available in the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service guide Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission.
 Low risk nationals

You will be considered a 'low risk' national if:
  • You hold a passport issued by Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates or the United States of America and you are applying in your country of nationality.

  • You hold a Hong Kong (SAR) or British National (Overseas) passport and you are applying in Hong Kong (select "HONG KONG" as your nationality).

  • You hold a Taiwan (ROC) passport (which contains your residence card number) and you are applying in Taiwan (select "Taiwan" as your nationality).

  • If you are a 'low risk' national, you are not required to submit evidence of your finances or your qualifications when you make your immigration application, but you must have this evidence available to you. The Entry Clearance Officer may contact you later for these documents and you may need to show them to an Border Force Officer when you travel to the UK.
For more information about applying as a low risk national see the Advice and Counselling Service student advice guide "Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission".
 Find out more
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions about any of the information in this, or our previous newsletters.

Best Wishes,

The International Team
Queen Mary University of London

  +44 (0)20 7882 5555

Queen Mary University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS
Queen Mary University of London complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and subsequent regulations including the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations. You will retain the right to opt-out of future correspondence at any point.
Company registration number: RC000710