Thank you for starting an application for the above programme.
There are eight steps or pages in the application process and you will now be taken through a further seven pages containing application questions. You can access guidance notes relevant to each of the pages in the application process by clicking on the button labelled "Open Guidance Notes in New Window" at the top right corner of each page.
Below you will find a brief description of each of the pages in the application process. Please read this to ensure that you know the information and documents that you will need to complete the application process.
Important notes on completing your application
- You must complete all mandatory fields in order to complete the application process. Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
- You can log out and return to the application any time by clicking on the Save and Log out button at the bottom of each page. The first time you do this, we will send you an e-mail to your contact e-mail address with a link to your application form.
- Please use the Back button at the bottom of each page rather than the Back button in your browser, as you may otherwise lose data you have entered.
- Don’t forget to click the Submit your application to Queen Mary button at the end. We will only start considering your application once you have submitted it to us.
Steps in the application process
You are currently on page 1 of 8.
Below you will find a brief description of each of the remaining pages in the application process. Please read this to ensure that you know the information and documents that you will need to complete the application process.
|Page title||Page number||Information and documents you will need|
|Personal and contact details||Page 2 of 8||If you are applying with the support of an agent, you will need declare this here.|
|Academic and English language qualifications||Page 3 of 8||You will be required to upload academic transcripts and/or award certificates when you reach page 8 of 8. You should also upload any English language qualification or test certificates you have.|
|Professional qualifications and memberships||Page 4 of 8||This section is optional. You should provide details that are relevant to your application.|
|Employment history||Page 5 of 8||This section is optional. You should provide details that are relevant to your application.|
|Additional information||Page 6 of 8||This section includes questions about funding. Please be ready to upload a copy of any scholarship funding or sponsorship you have secured in page 8 of 8.|
|References||Page 7 of 8||You will be required to provide the names and contacts details, including work e-mail address of two referees who will support your application. At least one must be an academic referee.|
|Documents||Page 8 of 8||
In this section you will be required to upload the following documents:
If available, you are also invited to upload:
Finally, we will ask you to confirm that you have provided accurate information in your application and to agree to comply with the terms and conditions of any offer that we may make.
Don't forget to click the "Submit your application to Queen Mary" button at the end. We will only be able to start considering your application once you have submitted it to us.
We will send you an acknowledgement e-mail once you have submitted your application.
There are a number of mandatory fields in this section, including home address and contact address, which appears at the end. You can copy your home address to your contact address if it is the same. We will normally communicate with you by e-mail, but will use your contact address if we need to write to you.
You must provide details about your area of permanent residence (domicile), country of birth and nationality. You are also required to indicate your residential status by selecting from a drop-down list. We will use this information to determine your fee status. Please refer to more information about fee status in Queen Mary terms and conditions for prospective students.
To help you decide which residential category to select, please refer to the following table:
|EEA National||Nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway|
|International Student||Nationals of any country outside the UK, EU or the European Economic Area (EEA)|
|Not Known||Select this only if you none of the other categories is relevant to you. We will send you a fee status assessment questionnaire to help determine your fee status.|
|Refugee Status||Select this if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection leave to remain in the UK. You should also select this if you are financial dependent on your parent and they have refugee status.|
|UK citizen/EU national||Nationals of the UK or a non-UK EU country who are resident in the EEA|
|UK Resident||Select this if you are resident in the UK but none of the other categories is more relevant to you|
|UK/EU Outside EEA||Select this if you are UK or non-UK EU national and you are currently resident outside the EEA|
|Settled in the UK||Select this if you have Indefinite Leave to Enter or Remain in the UK and you have lived in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of your intended programme.|
If you are applying with the support of an agent, please click Yes in the "Agent Details" section and select the agency that is helping you from the drop-down list. It is important that you select the correct branch where there are multiple locations.
If you are applying with the support of an agent who does not appear on our drop-down list, please select 'other'.
This section of guidance notes is divided into two sections: the first for students applying for postgraduate study or research, the second for students applying for foundation level study in preparation for joining a bachelors degree. Please read the section that is relevant to you.
Applying for postgraduate study or research (including pre-masters foundation programmes)
- If you are currently studying at a UK university or your most recent qualification is from a UK university, you should enter the details in the UK qualifications section. Select the institution at which you have studied from the drop-down list and then select the qualification you are studying or have completed, eg, bachelors degree, masters degree, before entering the details of your award.
- If you are currently studying at a university outside the UK or your most recent qualification is from an institution outside the UK, you should enter the details in the EU and overseas qualifications section.
- All applicants are required to provide evidence of their English language competence and must meet the minimum threshold for entry to the intended programme. If you have not been educated in the UK or a majority English speaking country (as defined by UKVI at: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english), you must provide details of the qualification or test you will use to demonstrate that you have met the minimum English language requirements for your intended programme. You should enter the details of a relevant English qualification or test that you have taken or that you are intending to take. If you have already taken an English language test you should enter the overall score and the scores achieved in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Please consult our website for details of minimum English language requirements and opportunities to take pre-sessional English courses at QMUL.
Applying for foundation level study (undergraduate level)
- You should enter details of your current or most recent studies, eg, high school leaving certificate, and the name of the school or college in the EU or Overseas qualifications section. Please use this section, regardless of whether you are currently studying in the UK or outside the UK.
- All applicants are required to provide evidence of their English language competence and must meet the minimum threshold for entry to the intended programme. If you have not been educated in the UK or a majority English speaking country (as defined by UKVI at: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english), you must provide details of the qualification or test you will use to demonstrate that you have met the minimum English language requirements for your intended programme. You should enter the details of a relevant English qualification or test that you have taken or that you are intending to take. If you have already taken an English language test you should enter the overall score and the scores achieved in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Please consult our website for details of minimum
English language requirements and opportunities to take pre-sessional English courses at QMUL.
If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study on this programme, a Secure English Language Test (SELT) will be required for admission to this programme. For further details about SELTs please read more information online at: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english.
Please provide information about any professional qualifications or memberships of professional organisations that may be relevant to the programme for which you are applying.
If this section is not relevant to you, please proceed to the next page of the application.
Please provide information about any paid or voluntary employment you have undertaken that may be relevant to the programme for which you are applying. Please provide details for no more than the past five years. You can expand on this information in your CV or resume on page 8 of the application. This is a mandatory document and you will not be able to submit your application without uploading a CV.
If this section is not relevant to you, please proceed to the next page of the application.
In this section, you are asked to:
Provide information about yourself to assist the university to undertake equal opportunities monitoring and analysis. Any information you provide about your gender, ethnic origin or disability will be used for monitoring purposes only and will not be used to determine whether you are made an offer or not.
Declare if you have any relevant criminal conviction. This information will not be used at the point of initial selection, but may be material to whether you can be made an offer of a place on the programme for which you have applied. Please read the additional guidance notes on the declaration of criminal convictions.
In this section you are asked to provide the name, address and e-mail of two referees who are willing to support your application for the programme of study or research. This section is mandatory and you must provide details of two referees before proceeding to the next page of the application.
QMUL's policy on the use of references in the admissions process is available in our Policy Zone.
Notes for applicants
- Your academic referee(s) may already have provided you with a reference that you can use to support any application for study or research that you make. We call these ‘open’ references. Open references will normally only be accepted if they are written on headed paper, provided as a colour copy of the original, and provide the referee’s work contact details. We may use this information to verify open references.
- If you already have open references, you are encouraged to upload these in page 8 of the application form.
- If you do not have open references, the Admissions Officer handling your application will normally contact your referee(s) to request a reference. We will ask referees to send these direct to the Admissions Officer.
- You are advised to contact your referees before including their details in the application form to secure their agreement to provide a reference to QMUL. You should also give them the details of the programme you are applying for and tell them when you submitted your application.
- If we do not receive references that we have requested from your referees in good time, we may contact you to request that you nominate another referee.
In this section you can upload documents to support your application. At the end of this section you are asked to review the information you have provided and to confirm that it is accurate to the best of your knowledge before submitting your application.
You must upload one or more documents in the following categories in order to be able to submit your application. These documents are required in order for the admissions selector to make an initial assessment as to whether we can make you an offer on the programme:
- Academic transcript and/or degree certificates.
You should provide documentary evidence of the award you have already achieved or the qualification you are currently taking. It is important that you provide a transcript detailing the modules you have taken and the grades achieved in each module, in addition to a certificate confirming the overall award. If you have not yet completed the qualification, please provide an interim transcript of the modules you have taken and the grades achieved thus far. Where your documents are not in English, please provide a translation certified by an official translator in addition to a copy of the original. Please provide scanned colour copies. Black and white copies may not be accepted.
- Statement of purpose.
You should provide a statement explaining why you want to study the programme for which you have applied at QMUL, setting out how this will support you to meet your career and personal aspirations. It is important that you demonstrate a good understanding of the programme for which have applied and how this will support you to achieve your goals. Your statement should be no longer than 500 words or one A4 page. If you are applying for a second Masters programme, please explain how the intended programme of study will help you to achieve your career goals and how it relates to your first Masters.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume.
You should provide an outline of your education and any employment to date, setting out the start and end dates for each stage of your education or employment and any awards achieved. Where your professional experience is relevant to your intended programme, please provide brief details of the knowledge, skills and experience gained in employment.
If you have additional relevant documents to upload, you are encouraged to do so. The following categories of document may be uploaded:
- English language qualification certificates or test results
- Copy of your passport (you must provide this if you are a non-UK or non-EU national)
- Other supporting documentation.
Please note that some of the above documents may be required before we can decide to make you an offer. You are therefore encouraged to upload any relevant documents that you have at the point of application.
You will not be able to upload additional documents once you have submitted your application. If you need to provide additional documents after you have applied, you will need to send them to us by email to the address provided in the acknowledgement e-mail that we will send you.
How to upload documents
When you are uploading your documents please ensure you are doing the following:
- Click upload
- Browse and select the document you wish to upload
- When you see the document attached, click upload AGAIN. By clicking the upload button now, it will save your document.
Reviewing your application
You will be able to review your application details and submit your application after you have logged out. To do so, login to your saved application using the link provided sent by email, press the 'Edit' button and click 'Application Form' link in the upper-right corner. Press the 'Proceed' buttons to review subsequent pages, and submit the application at the end.