Call for panels and papers for the ECPR Section 'The EU and Covid-19'
When: Sunday, November 1, 2020 - Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 8:01 AM - 8:01 AM
Panel and paper proposals are welcome for a new section at the ECPR Standing Group on the European Union, 10th Conference of the SGEU, Virtual Event on 10-12 June 2021
'The European Union and Covid-19: Response and Impact'
The Covid-19 crisis has presented the EU with an unprecedented health crisis with important ramifications for European societies and economies. This section aims to analyse the EU’s initial response to the crisis as well as the social, economic and political implications of the pandemic on EU institutions, policies and procedures, on the economic and financial cost of the recovery and the more long-term impact on the wider integration process.
Scholars are invited to submit panel and paper proposals on the theme of ‘The European Union and Covid-19: Response and Impact.'
We are particularly looking to invite research on the following topics:
- How can one assess the EU’s initial reaction to the crisis?
- What has been the role of EU institutions and EU member states in shaping the EU’s response?
- What frames and narratives have prevailed?
- What has been the role of experts? How has European integration been affected? Has it affected differently EU policy areas?
- What is the socio-economic impact of Covid-19 and how this is impacting on inequalities across Europe?
- How did the emergency state measures and lock-downs have impacted freedom of movement?
- What have been the consequences for individual liberties and the state of democracy in Europe?
- What geopolitical consequences will it have for the EU’s role in the world?
- What theories are available to explain the response and implications of the crisis in the EU?
The deadline for the submission of panel proposals is Tuesday 15 December 2020. If you have any questions or would like to discuss a potential panel proposal please do get in touch with us (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org)