New students menu

Immigration FAQs

Where do I go to collect my biometric residence permit (BRP)?

When completing your visa application, you will have nominated a post office from which to collect your BRP (the nearest one to QMUL is in Whitechapel). You will need to check the opening times of the nominated branch on the post office website:

BRP collections walks have been organised throughout the week as part of the International/EU Student Welcome [PDF 114KB] – listen out for announcements during the Monday morning Welcome talk, or meet at the following times outside the People’s Palace (number 16 on the Mile End campus map [PDF 912KB]):

Monday 18 September, 2pm
Tuesday 19 September, 10am and 2pm
Wednesday 20 September, 10am and 2pm
Thursday 21 September, 10am and 2pm
Friday 22 September, 10am and 2pm

My visa is delayed – what shall I do?

The Advice and Counselling Service website has information on what to do if your visa is delayed.

If you have been waiting longer for your visa to be processed than the UK Visas and Immigration service standard, you can contact our Advice and Counselling Service via the web form and they can contact the Home Office on your behalf to see if anything can be speeded up.

Where can I find more information on immigration issues?

Visit the immigration pages on the Advice and Counselling website.

I’m an international student – do I need to register with the Police?

Depending on your nationality and the length of time you will be staying in the UK, you may be required to register with the Police, as a condition of your immigration permission. Find out if this applies to you.

If you are required to register with the Police, you must do so within seven days of arriving in the UK, or if you are required to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) after arriving in the UK, you must register with the Police within seven days of collecting it. You can register with the Police before or after collecting your BRP. If you register before collecting your BRP, you must take your Home Office letter, approving your visa application, which was issued to you abroad.

You will need to register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. QMUL has been given 500 appointments for our students between 23 and 26 October. This means you can book to attend an appointment at a specific time to avoid queuing and having to register within seven days of arriving. Book an appointment through Eventbrite.

Find out how more about Police registration.

Bookmark and Share
Return to top