This unique programme provides numerate graduates with the requisite expertise for the development of a professional career in the profitable and intellectually exciting triangle formed by mathematics, technology and finance.
Financial institutions rely on a functional blend of Mathematics, Technology and Finance to develop, enhance and sustain their competitive edge. The financial industry is undergoing a second wave of technological transformation related in particular to the establishment of electronic trading platforms; improved risk management and pricing accuracy; the high performance computing implications of expanding regulatory requirements.
As a result there is increasing demand for numerate and technologically capable personnel from a wide range of top employers including investment banks, hedge funds, financial software companies, brokerage firms and consultancy firms. Other business lines are now developing similar paradigms where numerate, technologically able personnel are part of business innovation and decision-making.
The Financial Computing MSc is run jointly by the School of Mathematical Sciences and the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science. It is aimed at science and engineering graduates with mathematical exposure and some experience in computer programming. The content of the programme is a combination of technology and financial mathematics. It contains modules related to up-to-the-minute industry challenges such as high performance and GPU development.
The programme is offered:
- full-time over one year or part-time over two years
- full-time over two years including Industrial Experience
Why study with us?
- Queen Mary is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of leading UK universities, combining world-class research and teaching excellence
- You will be taught by distinguished academics and experienced practitioners who blend advanced theory with practical applications
- You will study in recently refurbished MSc student offices, with state-of-the-art computers and software
- We are conveniently located in central London, in close proximity to the two world renowned financial districts of the City of London and Canary Wharf
- You'll be automatically considered for an Academic Excellence Scholarship, worth £5000 (apply by 15th June)
- We have new postgraduate student accommodation available from September 2018
Our links with industry
The Bank of England regularly visits QMUL as part of our MSc Industry talks
Citi sponsor Maths careers events on campus
We offer all students the opportunity to take the prestigious Microsoft Office Specialist qualification
Mincai Hu (MSc Financial Computing graduate, 2017)
“Financial Computing is an exciting area to work in – there are lots of opportunities to develop skills which are desirable to the industry, like programming and mathematical modelling”