LGBTQA+ Podcast Recommendations
Below is a list of recommended podcasts if you are interested in learning more about LGBTQA+ lives and experiences. These podcasts explore the themes of belonging, inclusion, relationships, identity, mental health and wellbeing.
Some of the following resources may have content and refer to sensitive issues that some individuals may find upsetting or distressing. If you feel uncomfortable with anything you encounter then please stop your activity, it is important that you look after your own wellbeing.
Queen Mary Alumni in Podcasts
Hear from alumnus Mitchell Harris, in this episode from the wonderful podcast Extraordinary Unplugged: ‘Having the courage to be me’.
Episode description: After living a double life for 10 years, Mitch finally found the courage to tackle the most difficult conversation he’d ever faced. How many of us are living a double life? Hiding our true selves from our friends, family and colleagues? And how can you find the courage to be yourself? Key topics include, difficult conversations, relationships, thought spirals.
“I’ve never done a ‘coming out’ post, video, dance. Part of me has always despised the idea that this is even a thing. It’s a strange by product of modern times that to be different in this world, or in my case, gay, you eventually have to declare it or run the risk of having others do it for you, telling you who you are before you’ve even worked it out for yourself. Extraordinary Unplugged is a new podcast, which this week I’m thrilled to feature in, that goes some way into exploring all of this...”
- Making Gay History - Bringing the voices of queer history to life through intimate conversations with LGBTQ+ champions, heroes, and witnesses to history.
- LGBTQ&A - is an LGBTQ+ interview podcast produced by Jeffrey Masters and the Advocate Magazine.
- How to be a girl - is an audio podcast about life with a Mum and her young trans daughter, as they attempt together to sort out just what it means to be a girl.
- NB: my non-binary life - You might have heard the term non-binary. This is how it feels. Join Caitlin Benedict & Amrou Al-Kadhi as they ask the big questions about gender & identity.
- Out with Suzi Ruffell - 'Out with Suzi Ruffell' is a new podcast all about the inspiring lives of LGBTQ+ people.
- Like-Minded Friends - With Tom Allen and Suzi Ruffell. A podcast where two comedians talk about life, love and culture... sometimes.
- The LGBT Sport Podcast - BBC’s LGBT sport podcast taking a look at LGBTQ+ issues in sport.
- Sounds Fake But Okay - Sounds Fake But Okay is a weekly podcast where an aromantic asexual girl and a demisexual straight girl talk about love, relationships, sexuality, & pretty much anything else they just don't understand.
- Becoming myself: Gender Identity - Series that goes inside the Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic in London to explore gender dysphoria. Narrated by Adjoa Andoh.
- The Logbooks - Stories from Britain’s LGBT+ history and conversations about being queer today. The team take a look through the Archives of Switchboard - the LGBT phone line set up in the 1960s.
- Homo sapiens - Alan Cumming and Christopher Sweeney talk to inspirational people over tea and biscuits. Each week they'll bring you intelligent, informative and fun conversations that represent the interests of LGBTQ+ people around the world.
- A Gay and a Non-Gay - is the UK’s #1 award winning LGBTQ+ podcast. Hosted by comedians James Barr and Dan Hudson. The podcast reluctantly began when James friend Talia moved abroad, leaving he and her boyfriend to fend for themselves. This is the hilarious tale of two unlikely heroes forming new friendship, challenging our preconceptions of each other and crossing divides.
- Nancy - is a critically-acclaimed podcast featuring queer stories and conversations, and hosted by two best friends, neither of whom are named Nancy. It’s a podcast about how we define ourselves, and the journey it takes to get there.
- The Coming-Out Tapes - The Coming Out Tapes is an audio archive of LGBTQ+ stories curated by comedian Cerys Bradley.
- One From the Vaults – a trans history podcast by Morgan M Page.
These resources have been gathered from a variety of sources, so the views shared below do not represent that of Queen Mary.