Queen Mary Alternative Dispute Resolution Society
The Queen Mary Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Society is a young society, entering its third year of activity. In such a short period of time, we managed to become the third-largest law-related society at Queen Mary, University of London, with around 100 active members. In recognition of our achievements and innovative approach, our society was awarded in 2019 the prize of ‘Best New Society’. We accomplished this with the aim of offering students the unique opportunity to develop key lawyering skills, and gain greater exposure to and education about alternative means of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on arbitration and negotiations.
Our membership base consists of undergraduate and postgraduate students, with 43% studying LLM programmes at Queen Mary’s world-renowned Centre for Commercial Law Studies. In only two years of activity, we organised a wide variety of events with representatives from firms such as White & Case, DLA Piper, Debevoise & Plimpton, WilmerHale, and worked closely with the directors and student representatives of Queen Mary’s LLM programmes, as well as with world-renowned professors.
Our unique offer this year includes:
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner x Queen Mary Annual Commercial Negotiations Competition 2020/21, co-organised with the European Law Students' Association and the Law and Business Society
The Competition is an invaluable opportunity to improve your negotiation skills and commercial awareness which are becoming increasingly important in an ever-growing commercial world, as well as a unique chance to get to know BCLP and gain an insight into the firm's culture, departments, initiatives and career opportunities. The Competition includes six rounds, workshop with BCLP, workshop with Lawson Conner, and 8 hours of negotiation workshops with The Negotiation Club exclusively dedicated to the semi-finalists. The winning team will be awarded £200 in the form of vouchers and an opportunity to experience life at BCLP.
- Academic series of webinars on: Trade Negotiations within the EU; Oil & Gas Disputes; Challenges to and Enforcement of Investment Treaty Arbitration Awards
- Workshops on advocacy and cross-examination in International Arbitration with Young ICCA
- Dispute Resolution with Herbert Smith Freehills, co-organised with the Queen Mary Law Society
- Introduction to ADR with WilmerHale
- Sector-focused panel discussions (energy, data privacy & cybersecurity, TMT etc)
- Podcast series on ADR and practice areas
- Negotiation series of webinars (second term)
- Mentoring with arbitrators (second term)
- Networking opportunities
- Online and in-person socials
Do you want to find out more about ADR, improve key practical law skills and network with legal professionals and renowned arbitrators? Make sure you buy your membership before the end of September.
Interested in an event topic? You suggest, we provide. Let us know what you would be interested in seeing via email or on our social media pages.
- Email address: email@example.com
- Instagram: @adr_qmul
- Facebook: QMUL ADR Society
- Website: www.adrsoc.uk
The Leadership Team of the QMUL ADR Society 2020/21
- Elected President: Tommaso Salvatore (Team Leader of the Events Department)
- Vice-President: Boris Rusev (Team Leader of the Social Media & Marketing Department)
- President of the Committee: Andra Tofan (Team Leader of the Business Content and Negotiations Department)