Skip to main content
School of Law

Information for applicants from Canada

Welcome to our page for students from Canada. The School of Law at Queen Mary University of London is one of the largest in the UK, and over half of our students come from the EU or other overseas countries. As a result we are committed to ensuring your experience applying to and studying with us is a positive one.

We hope the information on this page is helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Updated guidelines from the NCA

Find out about the updated guidelines from the Canadian National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) regarding online learning.

Entry Requirements


Province Entry Requirement
Alberta General High School Diploma with a minimum of 90% in five acceptable grade 12 courses.
British Columbia British Columbia Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with 90% in at least five acceptable grade 12 subjects.
Manitoba High School Graduation Diploma with at least four grade 12 Specialised subjects with a score of 90%.
New Brunswick High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum of 90% in at least five acceptable subjects.
Newfoundland or North West Territories Graduate Certificate with minimum of 90% in at least five acceptable subjects at grade 12 level.
Nova Scotia High School Completion Certificate with minimum of 90% in at least five acceptable subjects in the Honours University Preparatory Courses (denoted by a 5) or in University Preparatory Courses (denoted by a 4).
Ontario A minimum of 90% in six grade 12 courses, at least five of which must be University Preparatory Courses (denoted by 4U). The sixth course could be a University/College Preparation Course (denoted by 4U/C). NB: CU and DU courses are considered on a case-by-case basis with advice from your school and our international representative.
Prince Edward Island High School Graduate Diploma with a minimum of 90% in at least five acceptable subjects at grade 12.
Quebec Diplome D'Etudes Collegiales (DEC)/Diploma of Collegial Studies (DCS) with a minimum of 90%.
Saskatchewan Complete Division IV Standing with a minimum of 90% in at least five acceptable subjects.
Yukon Territory Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with a minimum of 5As (AAAAA) in acceptable grade 12 courses.

M106: As above but must also include an acceptable French Language qualification such as/equivalent to UK GCE A-Level French grade A, or DELF at B2 level.


Entry is determined on the basis a cumulative average across all four years of study, not just the final two.

University (Canada) Qualification
Carleton University B+ / 9 / 77%
Concordia University B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 77%
Dalhousie University B+ / CGPA 3.30
McGill University B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 75%
McMaster University B+ / 9 / 77%

Okanagan College

(Validated by the University of British Columbia)

B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 76%
Queen's University B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 77%
Ryerson University B+ / CGPA 3.33 / 77%
Simon Fraser University B+ / CGPA 3.33 / 80%
University of Alberta B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 78%
University of British Columbia B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 76%
University of Calgary B+ / CGPA 3.30
University of Guelph B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 77%
University of Manitoba B+ / CGPA 3.5
University of Ottawa B+ / 7 / 75%
University of Saskatchewan 77%
University of Toronto B+ / CGPA 3.30 / 77%
University of Victoria B+ / 6 / 77%
University of Waterloo B+ / 78%
University of Western Ontario B+ / 78%
York University B+ / 7 / 75% / Very Good
Wilfred Laurier University B+ / 77% / 9 out of 12

Common alternatives for students studying at an international school would be the International Baccalaureate, A-levels, or the Cambridge Pre-U. View the entry requirements for these qualifications.

Applicants studying the schooling system of a different country (such as the USA high school diploma) should return to the country listing and visit the relevant page. 

Sending application attachments

It is not our policy to encourage unnecessary documentation such as extra letters of recommendation, non-academic certificates, and so on. However, if you have interim/completed transcripts which are vital for our consideration, please send a colour scan to and be sure to include your full name as it appears on your UCAS form, as well as your UCAS personal ID number. This is for students whereby the UCAS format does not allow them to provide their grades, which often Canadian students find to be the case.

If you are unsure whether or not we require your information then please wait, we will always contact students if key details are missing, and will not process applications without them.

Student Representatives

If you have any questions or concerns about what life in the School of Law is like for Canadian students then our representatives are on hand to help. Whether your question is about the British weather, working for the Legal Advice Centre, or what it’s like to study in London, then don’t hesitate to email and we will put you in touch!

“Originally from Vancouver, I studied at the University of British Columbia before working in advertising for a few years to save up to go back to school. I’m now wrapping up my final year of the Senior Status LLB programme. I picked Queen Mary because it allowed me to study at a top-ranked university while still living in London and being able to experience the city. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Queen Mary as it has allowed me to meet and study with people from all over the world. Queen Mary also hosted a variety of events with trainees from top city firms. Thanks to those experiences, I felt comfortable attending assessment centres and applying for vacation schemes. Post-graduation, I look forward to completing my training contract in London.” - Jacqueline Holder, 2021 Senior Status Scholarship Recipient.

Can I use my degree in Canada?

Lots of students ask us how they can use their degree in their home country. Whether you chose to stay in the UK, or return home, you will normally be expected to take further exams after the LLB. The Law Society website is a useful resource for finding out how to qualify in Canada.

Tuition Fees

View the list of tuition fees.

For further information please email the Fees Office:

Financing your studies

Possible sources of funding for Canadian students can be found on the British Council Canada website.

Queen Mary is an approved institution for the use of International Student Loan. Our institution code is 006697.

The School of Law offers undergraduate bursaries and scholarships to a number of students each year, currently these range from £1,000 to £12,000 per annum. Different awards have different eligibility criteria and applications and interviews are processed post-enrolment in October/November.

Read more about Queen Mary funding opportunities.

Useful information

If you need more information about student life, what to expect from Queen Mary, or wish to contact our International Office, please visit their website for Canadian students.

Contact us

If you have any further questions about the School of Law and the admissions process please contact us.

Back to top