Professor Dr Malik R. Dahlan is the Chaired Professor of International Law and Public Policy at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). He is also a Professor and Steering Committee Member of the Energy Law Institute. He leads the Trade Initiative and sits on the Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs) Working Group. He teaches in Energy Law and Ethics, Renewable Energy Law and Energy Geopolitics; and supervises Masters and PhD theses on trade, energy and Islamic law, ethics and dispute resolution (please see supervision areas section for greater detail).
In parallel to his academic work at QMUL, Professor Dahlan is the Principal of Institution Quraysh for Law & Policy (iQ), a multifaceted transnational Professional services company in London. He is a Senior Research Fellow of the Rand Corporation. He is also the International Chair of the Advisory Board of Riverstone, a power and energy focused private equity fund, and an Advisory Board member of the Institute for Legal and Constitutional Research at the University of St. Andrew’s. Professor Dahlan is a GCC qualified lawyer, a CEDR accredited mediator, and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Between 2014 and 2015, Professor Dahlan was a Visiting Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, Peterhouse College, University of Cambridge. His fellowship focused on the concept of statehood in international law contrasted with Islamic law. He was also a Visiting Academic and lecturer at the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a research focus primarily driven by international law and international relations methods and the application of neo-functionalism theory on the model of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) to mould a new Middle East open regional system taking into account the failures of past attempts. He also lectured ‘Perspectives on the Modern Middle East’ to the Executive MPA candidates.
Professor Dahlan completed his LLB at the University of Jordan. He read special studies in Government at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) at Harvard University and then went on to pursue an LL.M at Harvard Law School. He also received a Master Degree (AM in Regional Studies) at the Center for Middle East Studies (CMES) also at Harvard University. Professor Dahlan completed his Professoriate qualification the (‘Alemiyyah’) Habilitation Higher Doctorate (LLD) in Law and Public Policy at Al-Azhar University in Cairo.
Professor Dahlan is working on developing a student textbook on energy law and ethics as well as an introduction to renewable energy law with a particular focus on solar and wind energy.
International Law and Statehood, International Trade Law, Dispute Resolution (Mediation, Arbitration, ISDS), Energy Law and Ethic Renewable Energy, Islamic Law, Middle East Studies, Political Economy, Geopolitics.
- ‘The Hijaz: The First Islamic State’ Hurst Publishing, jointly with Oxford University Press, forthcoming (June 2018)
- The Application of the Objectives of Islamic Law on Public Policy’ Al-Azhar, Samo Press, Beirut 2017
- ‘Manliness. A Translation and Commentary on Hamza Shihata’s lecture: Ar-Rujulah Imad Al-Khuluq Al-Fadel’ (Manliness: The Pillar of Virtuous Ethic) Haus Publishing 2016.
- ‘The Hijaz in Perspective: Islamic Statehood and The Origins of Arab Self-Determination (1916-2016)’ Hurst Publishing, Centre for Global Constitutionalism, University of St Andrews, Working Paper No. 3, January 2018
- Dimensions of the New Belt Road Order: An Analysis of the Emerging Legal Norms and a Conceptionalisation of the Regulation of Disputes, Beijing Law Review, 2018 (forthcoming)
- ‘Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) Reconceptionalized: Regulation of Disputes, Standards, and Mediation.’ Pepperdine (forthcoming).
Conferences / conference papers
- ‘The Quest for stability in the Middle East revisited: Navigating the Complex Landscape & the path to peace’, talk at the 2017 Qatar Law Forum, Qatar, May 14th
- London Centre for International Law Practice (LCILP) 2nd Annual Conference on Energy Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in the Middle East and Africa, talk titled ‘Investor-State Dispute Settlement Reconceptualised: Regulation of Disputes’, London May 17th 2017
- ‘Islamic Statehood and the Origins of Arab Self-Determination (1916-2016)’, a talk by Professor Malik R. Dahlan (Quraysh), Old Class Library, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, 30 November 2017.
- China-Middle East Relations: The Belt & Road. Center for Middle East Policy Development at UCLA. 24 February 2018
- LCILP 3rd Annual Energy Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in the Middle East and Africa Conference, ‘Saudi Aramco – What does flotation mean for the sector’, London, 6 & 7 March 2018.
- International Trade & International Trade Law
- New Patterns and Norms in International Trade
- Dispute Resolution - Mediation & Negotiation
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)
- Energy Law and Policy; Renewable Energy Law & Policy
- Law and Ethics; Islamic Law.
He is currently accepting PhD supervision applications on the following specific topics:
- In International Trade & Innovation:
- China’s Belt & Road Initiative (BRI) or ‘One Belt One Road’
- Trade Fragmentation
- Brexit Policy; Brexit: negotiations & policy implications
- Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs)
- Soft Law
- Trade Policy: BITs, FTAs, FDI among others
- Artificial Intelligence and Disruptive Innovation.
In Dispute Resolution:
- Mediation and Negotiation
- Mixed-Mode Dispute Resolution
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS).
In Energy Law:
- Law and Ethics
- Energy Law
- Renewable energy Law with a focus on solar and wind energy
- Climate change.
In International Law and Public Policy
- Regulation & Public Policy
- International Organization
- Islamic Law, Middle East Studies, Political Economy, Geopolitics.
Students in politics are also encouraged to submit specific projects that I could potentially supervise.
- Board Member, International Mediation Institute (IMI), The Hague, Netherlands.
- Member, International Advisory Council, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, US (MGH)
- Member, Partners HealthCare Corporation, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Member, President’s Council, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Advisory Board of the St Andrews Institute for Legal and Constitutional Research (ILCR)
- Board of Trustees of Coexist House, London
- Justice Associate , Aspen Institute’s Justice and Society Program
- Member, Timbuktu Renaissance Presidential Action Group, Mali
- Advisory Board of the University of Toronto-Yale Middle East Law and Governance Interdisciplinary Journal (MELG)
- Working Group, Energy and Natural Resources Law Institute.
- Board of Trustees for the Arab British Centre, London
- Board of Directors of the Qatar Medical Corporation (Hamad), Qatar
- World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on the Future of the Middle East, Davos
- Founding President of Harvard Law School Association of Arabia, Middle East & North Africa
- Secretary, Harvard Law School Association of the United Kingdom
- International Chair, Harvard Law School Association
- Editorial Board of the UCLA Journal of Middle East Development
- Advisory Board of the University of London School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) Centre for Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s (CIMEL’s) Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law.
Conferences / conference papers
- Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week: World Future Energy Summit 15-18 January 2017
- Speaker at the Middle East Institute, National University of Singapore NUS conference on- Saudi Arabia after the Arab Uprisings: Domestic, Regional and International Challenges, 12-13 December 2016
- 16th Annual Forbes Global CEO Conference: Rising to the Challenge, 29 November -1 December 2016
- 163rd Bergedorf Round Table: A Westphalia for the Middle East Korber Foundation, 11-13 November 2016
- Interviewed for ILCR University of St Andrew’s project on The Law’s Two Bodies, 7 November 2016
- International Task Force Summit for Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University 23 and 24 September 2016
- Opening address, PIMIC-ITN Forum. Inquiry into the Consequences of PIMIC in the Contemporary World, 24-25 June 2016
- Speaker on the Implications of Recent Events in Iran and the Middle East at Dentons’ Global Energy Summit 17 May 2016.