Professor Elspeth Guild, BA (Thes/niki), PhD (Radboud University, Netherlands)
Professor of Law
Email: email@example.comRoom Number: Mile End
Elspeth Guild is Jean Monnet Professor ad personam at Queen Mary University of London as well as at the Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands. She is also a partner at the London law firm, Kingsley Napley She is also a visiting Professor at the College of Europe, Bruges. Her interests and expertise lies primarily in the area of EU law, in particular EU Justice and Home Affairs (including immigration, asylum, border controls, criminal law and police and judicial cooperation in criminal matters). She also researches EU privacy and data protection law and the nexus with human rights. She is also co-editor of the European Journal of Migration and Law. She is co-editor of the book series Immigration and Asylum Law and Policy in Europe published by Martinus Nijhoff.
Professor Guild provides regular advice to the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Council of Europe and other European and international organizations (such as the UNHCR) on free movement of persons, migration and asylum. Professor Guild is co-chair of the European Sub Committee, Immigration Law Practitioners Association, the UK legal profession’s voice on immigration and asylum matters.
- Security and Migration in the 21st Century Polity, Cambridge, 2009.
- Security and European human rights: protecting individual rights in times of exception and military action Wolf, Nijmegen, 2007. Translated into Hungarian by Majtényi Balázs and Pap András László Mikor Bűncselekmény a Háború? L’Harmattan, Kiadó 2009; and French DROITS DE L'HOMME AU NIVEAU EUROPÉEN La protection des droits des individus en période dite d'exception et d'action militaire L’Harmattan, Paris, 2009
- The Legal Elements of European Identity: EU Citizenship and Migration Law Elspeth Guild, Kluwer Law International, The Hague, 2004.
- Constructing and Imagining Labour Migration E Guild & S Mantu (eds) Ashgate, Aldershot, 2011
- Europe’s 21st Century Challenge Didier Bigo, Sergio Carrera, Elspeth Guild and R B J Walker (editors), Ashgate, Farnham, 2010
- Security versus Justice? Police and Judicial Cooperation in the European Union (editor with F Geyer) Aldershot, Ashgate, 2008
Articles and Book Chapters
- ‘When even Machiavelli’s Prince needs a Visa – Migration, Euro-Mediterranean Relations and Intercultural Dialogue’ European Foreign Affairs Review (2010) 15 : 367 – 384.
- ‘Refugee Protection, Counter-Terrorism, and Exclusion in the European Union’ E Guild and Madeline Garlick Refugee Survey Quarterly (2010) 29(4): 63-82
- ‘The Uses and Abuses of Counter-terrorism Policies in Europe: the case of the lists’ JCMS 2008 Vol 46 No 1 pp 173 – 193
- ‘The Europeanisation of Europe's Asylum Policy’ Int J Refugee Law 2006 18: 630-651
- Member of the Criminal Justice Centre (CJC)
- UK risks being pulled into Hong Kong crisis over citizenship row
2 September 2019
- The Windrush Generation Immigration Fiasco: What happened and why?
26 April 2018
- New book published: ‘Human Rights of Migrants in the 21st Century’
20 September 2017
- QMUL Law academics sign letter claiming Investigatory powers bill not up to the task
15 March 2016
- Professor Elspeth Guild: What does mass surveillance do to Human Rights? on openDemocracy
29 May 2014