Professor Lee C Buchheit, Diploma (Cam), J.D. (Pennsylvania Law School), A.B. (Middlebury College)
Visiting Professorial Fellow
Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Lee C. Buchheit’s is a Visiting Professorial Fellow at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) and Partner at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. His practice focuses on international financial transactions, including sovereign debt management, privatization and project finance. He is also a Visiting Professor at the University of Edinburgh Law School.
He is the author of two books in the field of international law and more than 40 articles on professional matters. The legal and business press repeatedly has recognized Lee for his work on behalf of clients and leading role in the profession, including the Financial Times, which named him on of its 10 most “Innovative Individuals” of 2012 for his work on the Greek debt restructuring; and the International Financial Law Review, which honored Lee with its inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010 for his contributions to international finance.
Lee joined the firm in 1976 and became a partner in 1984. From 1987 to 1990, he was resident in the Hong Kong office; from 1979 to 1982, in the London office; and from 1976 to 1979, in the Washington, D.C., office.
View Professor Buchheit's Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP staff page for a full list of his publications.
- Sovereign Debt Management (Oxford University Press, 2013) (co-editor with Rosa M. Lastra)
- How to Negotiate Eurocurrency Loan Agreements (Euromoney Publications, 1995; Second Edition 2000)
- Secession: The Legitimacy of Self‑Determination (Yale University Press, 1978)
- The Role of the Lawyer in External Debt Management (United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Document No. 5, December 1995)
- Sovereign Debtors and Their Bondholders (UNITAR Training Programs on Foreign Economic Relations, Document No. 1, Feb. 2000)
- Responsible Sovereign Lending and Borrowing (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, No. 198, April 2010) (with G. Mitu Gulati).