Dr Iris Benöhr, PhD (EUI, Italy), License en Droit (UniNE, Switzerland), Zurich Bar
Lecturer in Law
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)2078828627Room Number: CCLS
Iris Benöhr is as a Lecturer in Law at Queen Mary University of London. Prior to Queen Mary she worked as a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at the Law Faculty of the University of Oxford. She holds a PhD and Master in law (European University Institute, Florence) and a Licence en Droit (University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland). She was admitted to the Bar, Zurich (Switzerland) and held positions at an international law firm (Cleary Gottlieb), at the United Nations and at the European Commission. In addition, she has held visiting posts at various institutions including the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg, the Institute of European and Comparative Law at the University of Oxford, the Swiss Institute of Comparative Law, Lausanne and the University of Wisconsin. Her main research interests lie in international and European private law and she has published widely in the fields of EU consumer law, human rights, comparative contract law, dispute resolution and financial services law. She has worked as a legal expert for related projects commissioned by the United Nations and the Swedish Government on comparative financial services law and dispute resolution.
Working languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish.
- Commercial and Consumer Law
- Competition Law
Her main research interests lie in the fields of international law and European private law, in particular comparative law, consumer contracts, financial services law and dispute resolution. She is also interested in comparative human rights, sustainable development and competition law.
Examples of research funding:
British Academy funded project on the comparison and intersection of consumer and environmental law.
- I Benöhr, EU Consumer Law and Human Rights (Oxford University Press, Oxford Studies in European Law, 2014)
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I. Benöhr, The Contribution of the United Nations to the Development of International Consumer Law: Legal Implications and New Frontiers, Journal of Consumer Policy, forthcoming 2019.
- I. Benöhr, Collective Redress in the Financial Sector and the New EU Deal for Consumers, forthcoming, European Review of Private Law, forthcoming 2019.
- I. Benöhr, Financial Consumer Protection: An EU law and International Law Perspective (2018) European Law Review Issue 5, pp. 687-709.
- I Benöhr, Collective Actions in Consumer Law, Legal Issues of Economic Integration, Special issue (2014).
- I Benöhr, 'Consumer Dispute Resolution after the Lisbon Treaty' (2013) Volume 36 Journal of Consumer Policy 87.
- H. Pacini, M. Montoya Diaz, V. Guimarães and I, Benöhr, 'Environmental and competitive performances' (2013) 36 (3) September 2013. World Competition, Law and Economics Review.
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeldt-Banda, 'Consumer-to-Business Dispute Resolution' (2012) ERA Forum Journal of the Academy of European Law 199–225.
- I. Benöhr and H.-W. Micklitz, Consumer Protection and Human Rights, in Handbook of Research on International Consumer Law, G. Howells, I. Ramsay, T. Wilhelmsson (ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing (2018), pp. 16-35.
- I. Benöhr, The concepts of nullity and damages in competition law: a comparative and EU perspective, in: H. Micklitz and C. Sieburgh (eds.), The Impact of EU Primary Law on Private Law, Intersentia (2017), pp. 133-163.
- I Benöhr, 'Out-of-Court Settlement of Consumer Disputes in Financial Services' in C. Hodges and A. Stadler (eds), Resolving Mass Disputes (Edward Elgar 2013)
- I Benöhr, 'Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumers in the EU' in C. Hodges, I. Benohr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda (eds), Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr, C. Hodges and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, 'Alternative Redress Mechanisms for Consumers in Germany,' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, 'Consumers ADR in France' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, N. Creutzfeld-Banda and I Benöhr, 'Consumers ADR in the UK' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, N. Creutzfeld-Banda and I Benöhr, 'Cross-border ADR' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr and F. Weber, 'Dispute Resolution for Consumers in Spain,' in C. Hodges, I. Benohr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda (eds), Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr and H.-W. Micklitz, 'Consumer Protection and Human Rights' in G. Howells, I. Ramsay, T. Wilhelmsson (eds), Handbook of Research on International Consumer Law (Edward Elgar Publishing 2010).
Law and Policy Publications
- I Benöhr, Redress in Retail Investment Markets: International Perspectives and Best Practices (co-authored publication) (2014) CFA, pp. 1-60.
- I Benöhr, Alternative Dispute Resolution of Consumers in Financial Services: A Comparative Perspective' (2013) European Policy Analysis, SIEPS
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and Naomi Creutzfeldt-Banda, 'Consumer-to-Business ADR Structures:' (2012) The Foundation for Law, Justice and Society
- C. Hodges, N. Creutzfeldt-Banda and I Benöhr, 'The Hidden World of Consumer ADR: Redress and Behaviour' (2011) The Foundation for Law, Justice and Society
- I Benöhr, Book Review: European Contract Law and the Welfare State, edited by J. Rutgers, European Law Review, 2014.