Juan joined the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) in April 2017 as a research associate in energy law and policy for the WiseGRID project. Queen Mary is the legal counsel of the WiseGRID consortium. The main objective of the project is to provide a set of solutions and technologies to increase the smartness, stability and security of an open, consumer-centric European energy grid. Juan is also conducting research under the Jean Monnet Chair.
Prior to joining CCLS, Juan served as a legal officer in the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency in Brussels after completing his Blue Book traineeship in the same agency. The tasks revolved around the legal aspects of the financial regulation of grants and procurements as well as data protection within the framework of the European Union's funding programmes in the fields of education, culture, audiovisual, sport, citizenship and volunteering.
- WiseGRID project
- Research under the Jean Monnet Chair
- Leal-Arcas, R., Grasso, C. and Alemany Ríos, J. Energy Security, Trade and the EU: Regional and International Perspectives (Edward Elgar, 2016)
- Leal-Arcas, R. and Alemany Ríos, J. “The Creation of a European Energy Union” European Energy Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 3, pp. 24-60, 2015, Claeys & Casteels
- Leal-Arcas, R., Alemany Ríos, J. and Grasso, C. “The European Union and Its Energy Security Challenges” Journal of World Energy Law and Business, Vol. 8, 2015, Oxford University Press
- Leal-Arcas, R. and Alemany Ríos, J. “How Can the EU Diversify its Energy Supply to Improve its Energy Security?” Queen Mary School of Law Legal Studies Research Paper No. 190/2015
- Leal-Arcas, R., Grasso, C. and Alemany Ríos, J. “Multilateral, Regional and Bilateral Energy Trade Governance” Renewable Energy Law and Policy Review, Vol. 6(1), pp. 38-87, 2015
- Leal-Arcas, R., Alemany Ríos, J. and Grasso, C. “The European Union and Its Energy Security Challenges: Engagement through and with networks” in S. Kingah (ed.) Global Re-Ordering: Evolution through European networks (Ashgate, 2015).