SOLM265 Media Regulation (Sem 2)
This module will cover topics including:
- Ownership and control of the media
- Press regulation
- EU Broadcasting Law and the shift to regulation of online, streaming content
- UK Broadcasting Law and the shift to regulation of online, streaming content
- Advertising Regulation
- Article 10, Freedom of Speech and the reasonable limits thereon with a view to protecting the Article 6 right to a fair trial, in the context of media reporting the courts
- Contempt of Court and the media - filming and livestreaming the courts, contempt by publication
- Reporting restrictions and the media - including identification of victims of serious crimes, statutory restrictions on reporting proceedings involving children and vulnerable adults, discretionary judicial orders, the media's right to representation and to appeal orders.
- Protection of journalists sources and materials, including digital resources and communications, from undue state / police interference.
Mode of assessment
Final assessment exercise