SOLM111 Regulating Health Systems (Not running 2021-22)
1. What is a health system?
2. An outline of the theory of regulation
3. Learning from public inquiries
4. The Bristol Royal Infirmary heart surgery case and "An organisation with a memory"
5. Inspection regimes: The Care Quality Commission and the Health and Safety Executive
6. The "Morecambe Bay" and "Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells" inquiries
7. Contracting and financial governance
8. The NHS reforms of 2012 and the role of NHS Improvement
9. Standard Setting and the role of NICE
10. Health beyond the NHS: social care and the "Winterbourne View" inquiry
LLM in Medical Law
Mode of Assessment
2.15 hour examination