Dr Anna Howard, PhD (London), MA/BA (Oxon), Solicitor (England & Wales)
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8173Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Dr Anna Howard is a Post-doctoral Research Assistant at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London. Anna is the Associate Editor of the Kluwer Mediation Blog and a member of the UNCITRAL Academic Forum on Investor-State Dispute Settlement.
Anna completed her PhD (on EU cross-border commercial mediation) at Queen Mary in 2019. Prior to starting her PhD, Anna was Lecturer of Law at the School of Law, Singapore Management University.
Anna qualified as a solicitor (England & Wales) in 2003 and practised EU and UK competition law at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and Field Fisher before moving to Singapore where she started her academic career. In 2014, Anna trained as a mediator (Core Solutions).
Anna studied Modern Languages at Oxford University (The Queen’s College) and was then sponsored by Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer to study law as a postgraduate at The College of Law.
Anna’s main area of research is mediation and in particular cross-border mediation. Anna’s book, EU Cross-Border Commercial Mediation, Listening to Disputants – Changing the Frame; Framing the Changes, was published by Wolters Kluwer in January 2021. Anna’s book is based on her PhD research for which she interviewed senior in-house counsel of multi-national companies regarding their use of mediation for their EU cross-border commercial disputes.
Anna is also working with colleagues at Queen Mary and Cardiff University on a multi-disciplinary research project on international investment arbitration.
Anna's book, EU Cross-Border Commercial Mediation, Listening to Disputants – Changing the Frame; Framing the Changes, was published by Wolters Kluwer in January 2021. Read reviews of Anna's book.
Anna is the Associate Editor of the Kluwer Mediation Blog and a frequent contributor to the blog. Read her blog posts.
Anna is a member of the UNCITRAL Academic Forum on Investor-State Dispute Settlement. Anna is also a member of the Facilitators’ Group of the World Mediators Alliance on Climate Change.
- Invited by Scottish Mediation to speak about the impact of her book’s findings on the promotion of mediation: “Listening to Disputants – Changing the Frame; Framing the Changes” (22 April 2021).
- Invited by CEDR to deliver a Masterclass on EU Cross-Border Commercial Mediation (8 April 2021).
- Invited by Core Mediation (Scotland) to speak at an event to discuss her book’s findings with John Sturrock QC, Professor John Lande and Charlie Irvine (11 March 2021).
- Invited by The London Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London Branch) and the London Court of International Arbitration to be a panellist at their co-hosted event “Sustainable ADR – Recalibrating for the future” (18 February 2021).
- Invited to speak at the UNCITRAL ABLI Emergence Conference 2018 in Singapore following submission of her paper: “Direction or distraction? A direct enforcement mechanism for cross-border commercial mediated settlement agreements: the EU perspective” (25 July 2018).
- Invited to speak and facilitate at workshop sessions on the future of mediation at the International Academy of Mediators Conference in Edinburgh (10-11 May 2018).
- Together with Professor Stavros Brekoulakis and Dr Daniel Behn, Anna was a moderator of a seminar on “Impartiality in Investment Treaty Arbitration” hosted at Queen Mary (22 October 2019).
- For National Mediation Awareness Week, Anna organised and chaired the event “Challenging Mediation Misconceptions” hosted at Queen Mary (19 October 2017).